Five blogs of Dave
July 24, 2012: Second batch of new Saabs at the port to be auctioned
by, 18 July 2012 at 15:15 (810 Views)
Nearly 900 new Saab cars are marooned at the port. Ally Financial, previously known as GMAC, obtained a court judgement for these cars after payments were missed. These cars are now being auctioned. The first batch of 45 new Saabs were auctioned on June 28, 2012. The next batch of 84 cars are being auctioned on July 24, 2012. Bidding starts at 9 a.m. Eastern Time and ends at 2:30 p.m. These cars at the port, as well as dealer stock, is the last of the new Saabs available. After this supply is exhausted, the days of buying a new Saab will be forever relegated to history.
The floor price, or minimum bid, is set at half of the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). Ally Financial assesses auction fees which depend on the costs of the car but can be approximately $300. The dealer who successfully bids for the car is also responsible for shipping arrangements and shipping costs so the floor price is lower than the price that an individual will actually pay. The least expensive Saab is a white 9-3 with a floor price (minimum bid) of $14,863 (before transportation costs, auction fees, dealer added fees/overhead, as well as government tax, title, and license fees)
Most of the cars are at FAPS, Inc. facilities, who has processed Saab cars for many years at the Port of Newark (near New York), but a few cars are in other locations. These may be on interest to certain customers who live near the alternate locations, particularly if they wish to save on shipping costs or shipping arrangements.
One 9-5 offered in this auction is located at Port of Brunswick in Georgia. Two 9-4X are located at Larson Saab in Fife, Washington (note: Ally Financial is auctioning these cars, not the dealer or location that the car is currently stored). Four 9-3 cars to be auctioned are located at Cherry Hill Classic Cars, across the river from Philadelphia. Gurley Leep Saab Subaru in Mishawaka, Indiana (near South Bend) has one 9-4X that is being auctioned. The Port Hueneme warehouse and port facilities, near Santa Barbara, California has all 6 9-3 convertibles that are being offered in this auction. Two 9-5 cars are at Inter-Rail Transport of Kent, Washington (near Seattle).
Jonathan Schmelz at Schmelz Countryside Volkswagen Saab in Maplewood, Minnesota (near St. Paul) said will place a bid for individuals, locally and out of state. Another Saab dealer that was contacted did not respond. The Ally Financial SmartAuction system is not open to individuals but dealers may be more willing to bid if they have a conditional order from a customer or have an understanding that they are bidding for their customer.
Update: It was earlier reported that Kelly Cadillac Saab would bid on behalf of buyers as it did in the first auction but has decided that it will not be participating because of the time consuming process. link
A few of the cars have unusual features. One 9-3 has a center rear headrest, which is normally not found in the United States. One 9-4X has a trailer hitch package.
A rare U.S. spec Saab 9-3 with a rear center headrest, which is not the standard U.S. configuration
The following is a list of new 2011 Saabs available for the upcoming auction:
Note: unless noted, all are automatics and power moonroof (9-4X and 9-5 with panoramic moonroof)
When a package is listed for one car, the rest of the cars in the same group do not have the package (for example if the Technology Package is listed for some cars, the other cars in the same group do not have such package)
Cars are auctioned with a Michigan resale title.
(1) 9-3 Aero, Arctic White with Premium Package (floor is $26,015)
(6) 9-3 at Port Hueneme, all with Premium Audio, FWD, and Comfort Package, 2 Diamond Silver, 3 Carbon Grey, 1 Arctic White (floor is $24,533 except $24,230 for Arctic White)
(2) Aero, Jet Black (floor $21,215) and Black (floor is $18,480)
(15) 9-3 cars, all with Comfort Package (floor is $17,335 for 12 cars)
(1) 9-3 with Comfort Package but located at Cherry Hill Classic Cars near Philadelphia
(3) 9-3 cars with manual transmission, no Comfort Package, no moonroof (Arctic White, Carbon Gray, Black) (floor is $14,863, $15,138 for Carbon Gray)
(22) 9-3 XWD, all with Comfort Package, ($18,408 is a very common floor price for many of these 22 cars). 2 have Bose centerpoint surround and are Diamond Silver. One is Carbon Gray, as Bose centerpoint surround and is the only car with a center rear headrest.
(3) 9-3 XWD, all with Comfort Package, located at Cherry Hill Classic Cars near Philadelphia, colors are Diamond Silver Metallic, Carbon Gray Metallic, and Black
9-3 SportCombi or 9-3X
(4) all Carbon Gray with Comfort Package (floor is $17,695)
(1) 9-3X, Carbon Gray with Comfort Package, (floor is $20,323)
(1) FWD, Power Package, Diamond Silver (floor is $18,645)
(1) FWD, Zodiac Black Metallic, located at Gurley Leep (floor is $18,645)
(1) 9-4X Aero, XWD, Diamond Silver, Rear Passenger Package and Trailer Hitch Package (floor is $26,065)
(2) 9-4X Premium, one FWD with no Navigation Package, one XWD with Navigation Package, both Diamond Silver (floor is $19,888 or $22,458)
(2) 9-4X Premium with XWD, Birch White (floor is $21,260) or Zodiac Black Metallic (floor is $22,458), both located at Larson Saab in Fife, Washington (near Tacoma and Seattle)
9-5 Aero XWD
Seven 9-5 Aero XWD, all with Harmon Kardon (except one Fjord Blue) with the following colors:
(2) Diamond Silver
(1) Arctic White, 19" wheels with summer tires and Technology Package (floor is $28,535)
(2) Fjord Blue
(1) Jet Black, 19" wheels with summer tires and Technology Package and Rear Seat Passenger Package (floor is $29,600)
(1) Diamond Silver Metallic, Rear Seat Passenger Package, at Inter-Rail Transport, (floor is $29,000)
9-5 with manual transmission, no moonroof, floor is $17,708
(1) Diamond Silver at Brunswick, GA
(2) Jet Black or Black
9-5 Premium, all with Panoramic Moonroof, Navigation, Passive Entry
Granite Gray, front/rear park assist (floor is $23,328)
Fjord Blue, front/rear park assist (floor is $23,328)
Diamond Silver, Harmon Kardon Audio System, front/rear park assist (floor is $23,825)
Arctic White, Technology Package, no passive entry (floor is $24,523) *not certain why floor price is higher considering optional equipment
Jet Black Metallic, Harmon Kardon Audio System and Technology Package, location is Inter Rail Transport (floor is $23,825)
Fjord Blue or Carbon Gray, Technology Package and Navigation, XWD, (floor is $26,870)
Oak (no Technology Package or Navigation), (floor is $24,428)