Despite Saab's setbacks, Oscar Karlsson refuses to abandon the marque. He is only 16 years old, but he is already the owner of five Saabs!
- There is something special about Saab. The cars have a soul and I like that.
Love for Saab is deeply rooted among the Swedish people. We love the little automaker that for so long has contributed with their innovative technologies and their slightly different design. Oscar Karlsson from Torsby really love the cars from Trollhättan.
- Yes, I was only twelve when I got a Saab 9000 that was owned by my Dad. The car had been standing because of a little problem with the engine. It was of course nice to get a car and this was how my interest in Saab began, says 16-year-old Oscar.
Oscar Karlsson now owns another and very special 9000 that he found at a workshop in Torsby a couple of years ago. It is a Saab 9000 Turbo Sport T16 from 1992.
- It is the precursor to the Aero and the car has a special engine and only 180 cars were produced. Now there are only about 50 of these cars left, I have heard. I changed the clutch and brakes on it and a few years ago I got a photo of a similar car by Jan-Ake Jonsson, who was then president of Saab. He congratulated me as the owner of this Saab.
It was something that increased his interest in Trollhättan pride. An entire cabinet in the house in Torsby is now full of Saab stuff and includes everything from old automotive magazines to manuals for the latest models.
I got a hold of the first owne. There is something special about Saab. The cars have a soul and I like that and they are very comfortable to ride in. Meanwhile, Saab has always been ahead of its time with technology. I really hope that production will continue despite the bankruptcy.
Got hold of the first owner
Although Oscar still is a couple years away from getting his driving license, he has not been satisfied with one car.
- Two years ago I found a green V4 96: a 1973 on the internet. I bought it in Borlange, but the car was purchased new by an older man in Lidingö. I contacted him by phone and we talked a bit. It turned out that we have a birthday the same day, on April 22! He thought it was very funny that the car is still rolling.
With the help of Saab lover Anders Nordqvist who live outside Torsby, Oscar Karlsson renovated, sanded and painted the V4. So does another car from the same year as the young collector car hobby is also found in the book.
- It's a V4 95 wagon from Hagfors. The model is not so common and has fold-down rear seat and seat seven people. Among other things, the brakes need to be fixed for it to make it through inspection.
A real fixer-upper is Oscar's oldest car, a Saab 92B Deluxe from 1954.
- It is the 9220th Saab since the production start and I know all the previous owners. The 92 I have purchased from my grandfather's brother Kjell Karlsson, who had the car since the early 1970s. The goal is to have it ready when I get my student license in a few years.
The car collection includes a 1997 900 Turbo, which serves as a spare car and a Saab 900 2.3 from 1996 to serve as daily driver car when Oscar Karlsson gets his drivers license in a couple of years. That is obviously something he longs for very much.
Source: The NWT.se article
You can use your Facebook, Google, Twitter, Yahoo and other accounts to comment on articles without the need to create an account on SaabWorld. To become part of our community, please sign up for a free account first and enjoy all site features.