This has to be addressed sooner or later. I'd rather do it sooner so we stay ahead of any possible issues. Growth can be slow but it can also happen overnight.
The site is currently hosted on a shared hosting plan. This basically means limited admin options/access and one server can host hundred's of different websites. I think the site has been pretty reliable and pretty fast so far. There were a few times when the site was unavailable for a few hours but nothing too bad.
There are a few options:
1) Donations from members and visitors
2) Advertising (Google) for visitors
3) Advertising (Google) for members and visitors
3) Advertising (sponsors) listings/links in dedicated Sponsor forum
4) Membership upgrades - offer additional features, do not show advertising for paid members etc.
5) No funding, this site should be free to use without advertising
How should a site like this be funded? I would like it to be independent as much as possible but it should also be a quality, reliable site with new features and software for many years to come.
You are the customer so let's vote and discuss how it should be funded. Any other ideas? You can vote for one or more in the poll.