Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero
    Successfully used this post install the Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX into 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero.

The hardest parts were:
    1) making the mental jumps needed to connect the vehicle wire harness to the head wire harness,
    2) figuring out what the extra wires/wire splits* on black ground and white power lines on the (new?) SWI-RC were for [HINT: nothing much],
    2) and snaking the USB and HDMI cables to the center column. ( We ended up figuring out that lifting and stuffing under the passenger carpet trim was easiest than snaking up.)

Regardless, now I have Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, Hands Free Operation, In Dash Navigation, and Video Display capabilities built into the dash of a car I never thought upgradable before. Steering wheel controls were maintained.

Thank you so much, Wulf for the tutorial, unclemiltie for heads up on the SWI-RC, and photousa for the armrest routing suggestion.

NOTE: Use the Metra 70-1786.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Aero
    I upgraded my stereo from the Pioneer F700 to the Kenwood DDX372

Sound quality is massively improved between the two. I gave up navigation because my wife got a new car and we use that for trips now. I also have my truck for my trips.

I switched from the PAC SWI-RC to the AXXESS ASWC because my PAC kept failing. It kept losing programming, I don't know if maybe the stereo had an affect on this or the unit itself, but it was always during the summer months about once every 2-3 weeks. I contacted PAC about the issue and they said "They are aware of the unit getting hot and losing programming, but didn't have any plans to fix it."

For the AXXESS unit, use the white wire with green strip for interfacing with the headunit like you would the PAC unit (red to red and black to black, hook up your receiver end by instructions). Programming is much easier and so far it has worked without an issue through the hottest days of the summer.

I also cleaned up my wiring, added a dashcam and that is pretty much it.

I'm looking into adding a DSP down the line and a Rockford Fosgate all-in-one subwoofer.

2004 Saab 95 Aero Stage 1+

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-5 Aero
    If anybody in the Albany, NY area needs help with their install; I am more than happy to help having done this several times now for myself and a few others.
    2004 Saab 95 Aero Stage 1+

Saab(s)
    2001, 9-3 Viggen
    Just curious, how different would this install be on an OG9-3?

I have access to WIS so I can get the wiring diagrams. Just figured I'd ask before I make the jump.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3T manual wagon

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear View Post
    If anybody in the Albany, NY area needs help with their install; I am more than happy to help having done this several times now for myself and a few others.
    Hey!
    I'm over in NH and desperately need some help with this. If you could PM me or email me so I could just ask you even the most basic questions... I really just want iPod, BT and a backup camera in my 2001 9-5. I'd happily drive over to NY to get since help installing this.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    aspiring
    Hey that is pretty sweet. I'm looking to buy my first Saab, that vintage, and I expect I'll want to sync the money in for a more modern gadget hookup. I've gotten spoiled with rentals that have built-in USB and Bluetooth. Also, I refer having Google yell at me over a full set of speakers.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    I am going to install a Kenwood DDX-616 in my 2006 2.3T. Currently the Kenwood is in my 2000 Aero. The 2006 though has a GM sourced head unit which has two wiring harnesses instead of the single harness on the 2000 AS3.

Does anyone have information on where to purchase the required two connectors and the pin out diagram for the wiring connections?

Thanks!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The diagram for the wiring connections is most likely on the back of the head unit. At least that's what shows for <=2005.

Info from the WIS: 2006 Saab 9-5 head unit connections.pdf

I have seen many <= 2006 owners asking for more info on installing a new head unit. I think it would be a great help for many if you could document any information in a new thread we can add to the tutorials section.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    Thanks Frank for the WIS info, it looks very useful.

Looking at the WIS, I think that these are the connectors. Interesting that they are used in the 9-3 as well so I may look at some 9-3 installs for guidance also:

Saab Into Car Wire Harness CT20SA03 CONNECTS2

And this is the dash kit although I already have the cage etc. I really just want the fascia adapter piece.

Dash kit for mounting an aftermarket radio CT23SA02 CONNECTS2

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by omev2 View Post
    Successfully used this post install the Pioneer AVH-4100 NEX into 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero.
    I've been looking at the 4100NEX as a candidate for my 2002 9-5 Aero. I have some questions:

1) How do you like it so far?
    2) Do you use the Android Auto feature?
    3) You mention making some mental leaps, could you clarify a bit further or would you be okay with a PM for some help once I buy the unit?
    4)What dash kit did you use?
    5) Could you post some pics of your install?

My one concern is that Crutchfield says the head unit does not fit in the 2002. But I think this is mostly because they may not have a pre-made kit. My assumption that since it's a double din, it should fit.

Edit: After a thorough reading of this thread I do not have the above concern. Once I have enough money saved up I'm going to go after this head unit.
    Last edited by yazdo; 25 October 2015 at 17:11.