Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero
    Thumbs Up:   0
    Per my PM, I am going to attempt this. I can't just listen to the radio for the rest of my 9-5 Aeros life.

This post is awesome. I can't say how happy I am to finally find a solution to this annoying saab problem.

My first question is. If I don't care about the steering wheel controls (for now), do I really only need the Metra 70-1786 (adapter w/RCAs)s and the antenna adapter?

This seems like a very simple install if so and that would make me a very happy camper!

Thanks again.

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   123
    Welcome, glad to hear you found the site.

You'll need the adapter with the RCA connectors and antenna adapter for all installs, even if you don't use the steering wheel controls adapter.

You could cut the wiring in the car and RCA-out adapters on your head unit and solder together but using the Metra harness will be much easier. It will also be much easier to put the old head unit back in if needed.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero
    Great, thanks. I will update with my progress but this looks very promising! I am off to select my headunit!

0 Not allowed!

Wulf, I finally finished the install today had a few hiccups (mostly from not reading your directions properly). Anyways, just wanted to say thanks, full marks, etc for putting this together!

The GLIs worked perfectly to get rid of the pop noise that occurred when turning off the vehicle.

If you are someone reading this for the first time, don't be like me and not read Wulf's instructions carefully. I wasted an hour fiddling with wiring b/c I just color connected the harness instead of looking at the pin layout Wulf provides on the first page. You will know you made the same mistake as me if you're head unit won't remember your settings or radio stations (so check to make sure your constant power is in the right pin location)

I used these Posi-Tap products to tap into the headlight wires. They made it easier w/ the limited amount of space and it is an insulated connection.

The illumination wire will dim the head unit if you flip the headlight switch even if you don't have your day time running lamps disabled.

I didn't attempt to do the steering wheel controls, just wasn't confident enough to solder a resistor inline. Did everyone have to use a 1k resistor?

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 AERO
    Dear Frank,

Thank you for the illustration. Glad to hear you are from MI, I'm from Ann Arbor myself.

I have a few questions before I start the following project.

I have taken my stock stereo out of my 2000 saab 9-5 the AS3 system. I have purchased the connector (Amazon.com: Metra 70-1784 Radio Wiring Harness for Audi 88-99/Volkswagen 80-Up: Car Electronics.) I am trying to install a 7" tablet into the space of the stock stereo (not a problem).

I have also purchased the following Bluetooth receiver (Amazon.com: Britelink Bluetooth Audio Receiver: Portable, Bluetooth Music Receiver with Stereo Output (3.5 mm) for Home and Auto Stereo Systems: Electronics).

If I connect the line level outputs from all of the speakers to the wiring harness and then to the bluetooth receiver via 3.5mm.

Will sound come out of all of the speakers without a problem?

Do I have to connect anything else except the 4 speaker output cables? (such as power and control signals)

So basically 4 speaker cables will be connected to a 2 y cables and those cables will be connected to the bluetooth device via 3.5mm male.

The speaker wires run to the amplifier directly as you probably know...

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Not sure if that's going to work. I am not much of an expert when it comes to technical audio details but I think it has to do with unbalanced vs balanced audio.

Check out this thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=32852

If it is going to work, you'll also need a way to turn on the amplifier (pin 7 on the harness).

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by nordwulf; 12 July 2017 at 12:13. Reason: updated thread link

Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 AERO

Remote On control for amplifier: 7
    This is the wire I should use to turn on the amplifier.
    Should I just connect it to the 12VDC Ignition wire feed from the Cig Lighter ?

If everything works out, I will post a thread on this on how I did this.

The ACER Iconia A-100 fits perfectly into the spot of our stock stereo!

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by ekasparov; 17 November 2011 at 18:51.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I am not sure if it is a good idea to have a constant 12V to pin 7. There must be a reason why the amp is not powered all the time. Perhaps it only needs a very low current just to send a pulse to the amp to turn it on. You may fry your amp if you hook it up to the cigarette lighter so proceed at your own risk.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5 AERO
    I thought of that, now just wondering how to turn on the stock amp with out the stock stereo?
    Without Frying it ...... Ignition wire to amp maybe?

Is it easier to just install a new amp? Will I also need new speakers with it?

I really don't want to go that route......

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 9-5 Aero, 99 9-5 SE and an old '67 Volvo 1800
    Awesome post, thank you. I've now gotten up the courage to do this to my '03 Aero 9-5. Putting the AVIC X930BT in, great radio and a couple of Amazon vendors had refurbished ones this week for $429.

A couple of questions:

1: I'm thinking of putting the backup camera in for mine, why I don't quite know. I was thinking of repurposing a pair of wires from the CD changer plug in the trunk and tapping in at the radio harness. Anyone know of the mating connector for the third section of the factory plug? Also, anyone know of a reverse signal in the dash?

2: I'm wondering if I have to support the radio on the "back" side? or is the DIN chassis stuck into the plastic dash enough to really hold it?

I'm fortunate that I have an extra dash sitting around in the garage so I've been able to make everything fit nice and neat without having to take anything out of my car yet. The harness is all soldered up, I'm waiting for the GLI's to arrive and I'll be doing the disassembly.

Thanks again, excellent post. I'll post up some photos when I'm done.

0 Not allowed!