This may be a crazy idea, but, Threepwood, our families trusty old 87 C900 8v is sitting un-used and is getting lonely.
Some Threepwood background:
Curious How High do 8V owners rev their motors?
Threepwood lives!!! - 87 C900 8V
The residual value of such a car is close to nil, but sentimental value may be somewhat higher so I was thinking of sending him on a tour of the USA then donating him to a worthy young person at then end of the journey.
Also thinking this may be a fun project for the SAAB community nationwide and may add some publicity to the brand and aid in preservation of the cars left on the road.
I would like to drive first and last legs. Threepwood lives in central Pennsylvania so I was thinking of driving East to the Atlantic Ocean and handing him off to the 2nd leg driver, and then picking him up in a similar location at the end of his journey. My kids who have been commuting back and forth to College in Threepwood till I recently got "The SAAB" a 93 9000 CSE up and running may also want to drive legs.
Think there would be any interest from SAABer's nationwide to support such a project?
Some issues that would need to be worked out:
- insuring the various drivers
- Maintenance and repairs along the route (Threepwood has 200K on his clock) to insure his return home and subsequent hand off to the new and worthy owner.
- How to select the new and worthy owner?
- Who could update the blog? run PR, coordinate activities?
- Run a live GPS tracker? Where is Threepwood?
- Who is going to tell my wife?
All comments, Suggestions and support invited.