Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1997 900s convertible

Water pump replacement 97 900s, nonturbo

Been looking for insight in replacing water pump on my 1997 Saab 900s, non-turbo. Problem is, no one mentions obstruction of the bolts holding the water pump, by what I believe is the exhaust, or intake manifold. Possibly the bolts were put in from wrong side? These are the bolts of the star or hex screw type I am speaking of. I appears I need to remove the lower of the manifold pipes- I'm a bit of a novice, so I am assuming this is what I'm looking at. There clearly is no way of getting to the water pump bolts with this as an obstruction Some of the bolts on this assumed manifold pipe are ordinary, others have an extension, with the bolt at the end, and all look to have a welding compound on them, so I foresee it being a difficult task, and worried about breaking bolts and other unforeseen problems. I see no alternative but to remove this, but I am worried due to the fact they seem to have been affixed so permanently, and just dumbfounded that no one mentions this as being in the way of removal of the water pump in any of a number of posts I've read about the process. Any input would be appreciated, if anyone has any insight on any aspect of this, including safe removal of the pipe. The air conditioning compressor is above the water pump on my model. I have seen arguments on unbolting this unit and moving it for easier access, but that is the least of my concerns at the moment, considering the problem I've outlined. Thanks in advance for any help on this conundrum.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Welding compound? Are you talking about something like JB Weld? I don't think there should be anything like that.

I hate linking to this site, but check this out...
    SaabCentral Forums - View Single Post - water pump leak 96 900s
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    1997 900s convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Welding compound? Are you talking about something like JB Weld? I don't think there should be anything like that.

I hate linking to this site, but check this out...
    SaabCentral Forums - View Single Post - water pump leak 96 900s
    I agree, there should not be anything like that. Just as it should not be so difficult to reach the water pump bolts, from all info I've gleaned. Which makes me think it is a matter of someone messing with things and putting them back wrong. Car was bought used, so this is the way I got it. Don't know what compound might have been used, just see a silver liquid weld looking stuff around the bolts. Can't do much but try to break them free, and deal with drilling them out if they break. Main question is whether there is something I'm missing that can get around the pipe to avoid that hassle and remove the water pump without dealing with that? Just hoping for the miracle answer. Thanks for your input.