Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3/2005/arc/convertible

Exclamation Horn not working....and I need car inspection

Hi everyone, my horn is not working at all. Is there a battery to replace? I have a 2005 9-3 arc convertible and I need to know if there is a battery- where to find it and how to replace. I love doing myself small repairs with someone else's guidance Please, help! My car's inspection is due

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Once a saw another car, not a Saab, that had a corroded horn relay, located in the fuse box. The horn doesn't have a separate battery.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3/2005/arc/convertible
    Hi Dave T, thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. It is all possible since humidity is extremely high on Guam :-(

Saab(s)
    2005 saab linear convertible
    My 2005 linear convertible horn is not working either and the fuse is fine any advice would be great

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3/2005/arc/convertible
    Hi, actually I never got any feedback from anyone on this problem. I have been driving without horn and someone hit me because I could not warn them that I was behind.

Saab(s)
    These cars have so many quirks my mechanic is a saint

Saab(s)
    Glad you were not hurt and good luck with the horn I will keep u posted

Dave
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2001 93 2.0Ltr HOT Aero coupe & 2011 1.9TTiD Aero saloon
    Hi
    I have had the same problem for quite a while, and have posted the fault on various sites and had no definitive answer.
    the problem seems to be with the CIM (column integrated module or steering column control unit).And a break down in communication along the I-Bus?
    As you can imagine module repair or replacement, plus the need for Tech 2 to activate/install could work out quite expensive for a guess based repair. Due to the rapid arrival of the annual inspection (MOT) and the lack of facts and finances, I opted for a cunning plan B.
    Install a separate horn assembly. I decided to not use a relay or the existing horns.
    Instead I got the dual horns off a 2002 93 from a breakers, an inline 30amp fuse holder and fuse and a non committal push button horn/start switch from a local car parts place.
    I took the feed direct from the battery, straight into the fuse and then on through the bulkhead into the rear of the glove compartment(Bearing in mind mine's a right hand drive, It was through the right hand side of the bulkhead when standing in front of the car facing the engine).
    Then into the switch (mounted beside the cup holder). Out of the switch back through the bulkhead directly to the horns (mounted behind the centre of the front grill).
    Then a return wire to the negative of the battery. Job jobbed, MOT Passed.
    Below hopefully is link to a wiring diagram of a typical Saab horn (2007-2011) and a photo of the switch I installed in my dashboard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwx83pzpa9...gram.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gca95nf29m...tton.docx?dl=0

Hope this is of some help.
    Dave