Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    ToplessAero
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Aero (turbo)- the worst car ever built. I love Saabs, just not the one I have. ;-)

Serpentine belt pulleys

Do you or does ANYONE on this forum have any experience with a 2004 9-3? Your tutorial is very helpful to me until I get to the tensioner. My 2004 only has one tension pulley and it's smooth and pushes down on the belt. There is only 1 inch or less clearance between the engine well and the square hole in the tension bracket. The hole is on the SIDE of the bracket. Impossible to get anything in there unless I take of the other engine mount and raise engine 3 - 4 inches which would probably damage transmission and everything else. I'd like to have 5 minutes in a cage with the engineer for that bracket! I may be able to move it with a crow-bar but I don't see a hole to put a key in. I guess I'll need 3 people to fix: one to pry the bracket up one to hold the belt on Alt & AC, and one down below to loop the engine pulley and go under the tension pulley. Any other ideas?

(time out for a rant)
    This has to be the worst Saab ever manufactured. In the two years I have owned it, it has had more down time than up time: transmission fried due to design flaw, but past any compensation timeframe ($5,000 rebuild - had to be retooled 3 times due to faulty NEW parts shipped by Saab- lucky that labor was not extra for that), blown hydraulic cylinder for rag top, seatbelt self-exploded due to design flaw (which Saab USA denies was one of recalled ones), etc. etc. This car is a design flaw. If I could get it to work for JUST ONE DAY I would sell it or shove it off a cliff. I must say, on the days it did work it sure was fun to drive. But now it's ruining my life. I've been un(der)employed for 2.5 years and cannot afford repairs.
    (end of rant)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I moved this to a new thread in the 9-3 Workshop. I am sorry to hear about all the problems with your your Saab so hopefully someone can answer your questions about the pulley.

I can understand your rant (I had cars like that before) and most 9-3 seem pretty reliable. There is another thread about a leaking convertible top hydraulic cylinder so it doesn't seem uncommon.

I wish it was under better circumstances you found SaabWorld... welcome!

harry
    Saab Enthusiast SatchSportSedan's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Sport Sedan B207E 150Hp

Serpentine pulley tensioner limited space

Quote Originally Posted by saab-lemon View Post
    Do you or does ANYONE on this forum have any experience with a 2004 9-3?
    Your tutorial is very helpful to me until I get to the tensioner.
    My 2004 only has one tension pulley and it's smooth and pushes down on the belt.
    There is only 1 inch or less clearance between the engine well and the square hole in the tension bracket.
    The hole is on the SIDE of the bracket. Impossible to get anything in there unless I take of the other engine mount and raise engine 3 - 4 inches which would probably damage transmission and everything else. I'd like to have 5 minutes in a cage with the engineer for that bracket! I may be able to move it with a crow-bar but I don't see a hole to put a key in. I guess I'll need 3 people to fix: one to pry the bracket up one to hold the belt on Alt & AC, and one down below to loop the engine pulley and go under the tension pulley.
    (end of rant)
    Hello, Saab-Lemon, did you finally got it done that limited space belt tensioner replcament?
    I have a 2007 9-3 and have as well noticed the rather very limited spabce between angine and wheel well.
    Althrough mine is pritty more recent, I discovered with that Right-Front wheel removed, there seems to be
    some plastic guards that can be removed, maybe it gave you yet easier access?
    I'm due to this job after this years winter, so it will be for something like in April 2013.

Anyhow, let us here something, who you accomplished or oyur sustaine rand ;-?
    Everything is simple ,regarding time spend

ToplessAero
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Aero (turbo)- the worst car ever built. I love Saabs, just not the one I have. ;-)
    I fixed it just fine the day after my rant. I guess I had to get over being a cry baby about it. I ended up taking a crow bar (or wonder bar, etc one of the thinner metals pry bars for home use) and I inserted the end of the bar into a slot on the bracket. I was then able to pull down on the pry bar & use wheel well to pry against.that raised the pulley up off the belt. I pulled as hard as I dared, held it with left hand & slipped belt into place with right hand. No big deal really. Once you look at it you'll figure out what I'm talking about. Good luck!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Car repair and maintenance can be challenging sometimes. Perhaps this thread will make you feel better as many of us have been in that place.. http://saabworld.net/f15/how-did-rep...-tell-us-2304/