Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc; 2002 9-5 Aero

auto trans cable repair kit?

Has anyone had the auto transmission selector cable break off at the transmission, and if so, were you able to repair it? My 2004 9-5 has that white rectangular plastic connector attaching the cable to the lever on the transmission. When it is hot under the hood (and it gets mighty hot after a short run down the road...), the white plastic gets soft and very pliable. If I tried, it would easily separate the inner ball part from the outer rectangular ring, resulting in loss of gear shift ability. I am concerned it is going to separate for good one day, so I'd like to do some preventative maintenance. I'm not too excited about replacing the cable, so I am considering an aftermarket repair kit. I found just one available - two brass plates that sandwich the white plastic so it can't separate. It looks like a good option other than the $130 price tag. I'm interested in what others have done. My 9-3 had the same problem, but it has a much simpler connection at the transmission, and a simple brass barrel and clip fixed it permanently. Can't do that with this setup. Thanks.

Saab(s)
    900 Turbo, 9-3 SE, 9-5 Aero
    Yeah, my 03 Aero is doing the same thing. I've zip tied it to the outer circle, but clearing a temp. fix. I've seen the repair kit you mentioned. I may take a stab at making one myself with a sheet of Aluminum. I'm going to try to sandwich it to the out circle at the end of the cable. The socket seems pretty snug, so I don't think it's going to just fall off. I think I just need to get the white Plastic/rubber socket attached to the outer circle better. So I'm thinking of designs at work and going to try to make something tonight.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    I've been thinking of doing the same thing with a couple pieces of brass from Lowes or Home Depot, especially right now as it hasn't yet separated. 900Aero, did you have a chance to fabricate yours? Could you upload a picture? Anxious to hear how it worked for you.

Saab(s)
    Haven't had the chance to work on it. I did put zip ties around the bushing, and I zip tied the zip ties together so they can't slide off the end (like happened the first time). I've got a couple designs in mind, so I'll post back when I come up with something.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
    Has anyone had the auto transmission selector cable break off at the transmission, and if so, were you able to repair it? My 2004 9-5 has that white rectangular plastic connector attaching the cable to the lever on the transmission. When it is hot under the hood (and it gets mighty hot after a short run down the road...), the white plastic gets soft and very pliable. If I tried, it would easily separate the inner ball part from the outer rectangular ring, resulting in loss of gear shift ability. I am concerned it is going to separate for good one day, so I'd like to do some preventative maintenance. I'm not too excited about replacing the cable, so I am considering an aftermarket repair kit. I found just one available - two brass plates that sandwich the white plastic so it can't separate. It looks like a good option other than the $130 price tag. I'm interested in what others have done.
    Similar experince.
    I noticed after I brought my car home, also an '04 9-5 ARC, that the cable connection to the shift lever on the trans case is wrapped with electrical tape so I can only guess that the plastic piece is cracked. Apparently the plastic piece at the end of the cable can't be replaced; complete cable replacement is S.O.P. A new cable is abt $130 ?? but installing it (through the dash, etc) looks like a major project. I haven't taken the tape off thinking that it's there for a reason (holding pieces in place) and I wouldn't remove it until I had a 'fix' ready to install. If you come up with a simple, neat solution we'll all be eternally grateful.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    My 2004 95 has the same issue, I have been looking for just the rubber part, but haven't find it. I will put zip ties as 900 Aero mentioned. If I found it, will post

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    I found this: Saab 9 5 Automatic Transmission Shift Cable Repair Kit 2002 | eBay But @ $130, I rather buy the original cable

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Yeah, but replacing the entire cable is a pain. That $130 kit bolts in right there on top of the transmission. Pull the battery box, and screw it on. That's probably why he can get that price for a couple pieces of brass. The labor to put a cable in plus the part is likely a $300-$400 job. I'm convinced I can fabricate something good enough with Home Depot hardware. I only paid $900 for my car so jobs like this really increase my total investment!

Saab(s)
    Yeah, I'm thinking some sort of metal sleeve that you can sandwich the top and bottom to hold the rubber center in place. The zip ties are working fine, but the heat will make them brittle at some point. I've got some aluminum sheeting that I'm going to try to make something with. The $130 brass thing is cool, but my rubber center is still relatively intact and I don't want to spend $130 when a much cheaper fix can be had.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero
    Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  35.7 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  33.3 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  38.5 KBDo you think, this can work? Made of steel of course