Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero
    In my '98 volvo I retrofitted the horrible stock lights with HID's and have had a very good experience with Morimoto bulbs from theretrofitsource.com in 4300k for $45 a pair, they also provided the rest of my parts as well. They also sell phillips 85122+ bulbs at $95 a pair. Overall I have had a very good customer experience with them.[FONT=PlutoSansRegular] [/FONT]

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero
    I just realized that these saabs use a D1S bulb instead of the D2S bulbs I listed above. They also sell those but I have no experience with those specific bulbs.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

HID Bulb recommendations

Not sure if I want to buy something from a place that includes

"2x Alcohol wipes (to clean blibs before use)"

I notice they call them "Blibs" all over the page. Seems pretty legit.

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    Question: How long do these bulbs last before they loose their "brightness"? Wife's been complaining that she can't seem to see the lights on the road and other cars kind of outshine our car's lights. Mine's a 2006 model so the bulbs are probably 7 years old. Time to buy a new set?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You can't really determine the life expectancy by number of years of the car/bulbs. Much has been written on the forums about life expectancy but those may just be opinions. I looked up some manufacturer info and below is information from Osram for the D1S bulb.

Service life

B3 = 2000 h
    Tc = 3000 h

What do B3 and Tc mean in connection with the service life of bulbs?

If we consider the service lives of products that are designed to last a certain time, we can see that they all have the same or similar failure characteristics.

If we plot the service lives of the individual bulbs on special logarithmic graph paper, the graph produced is called a "Weibull distribution curve".

In a stable production process we obtain a straight line for the service life on which we can read off various life values. For its products in the automotive sector OSRAM specifies a B3 value, which indicates the time at which 3% of the tested bulbs have failed. OSRAM also specifies the Tc value (characteristic Weibull value), which indicates the time at which 63.2% of the bulbs have failed.

In former times only the average value was specified (the average life), which in this system would correspond to a B50 value (i.e. the time at which 50% of the bulbs have failed). By specifying both the B3 value and the Tc value it is possible to get an idea of the spread of the product's service life and hence the quality of the product.

In America B10 is also given. This value can be calculated from the B3 and Tc values.

Name:  Osram_D1S_Specs.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  73.5 KB

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero Sport Combi
    Hid bulbs lose brightness over time. Their usefull life is in the 2k hour range. If you have not disabled drls that is 60 - 80k mile range. After that brightness will drop significantly. Having just replaced my original 2005 bulbs i can tell you there is a drastic difference from old to new. Previously the fog lights were almost brighter than the headlights. Now it is hard to tell when the fog lights are on.
    Last edited by Yamarocket630; 20 December 2012 at 15:03.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
    Hid bulbs lose brightness over time. Their usefull life is in the 2k hour range. If you have not disabled drls that is 60 - 80k mile range. After that brightness will drop significantly.
    80K miles at an average of 40 mp/h is 2000 hours so that sounds about right.

I have read life expectancy is also affected by the number of on/off cycles but haven't found any manufacturer data about this.

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    My car doesn't have DRLs, and has about 130k km mileage. Average speed is around 39-40km/h so the total hours driving should be about 3250 hours. Assuming half of the time is night driving I'll still have about 400 hours to go. Guess I'll have to save up for some new bulbs soon!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    This could be why mine suck so bad - age. I programed the drl out of the car when we bought it - so likely the first 8.5 years or so had them on 24/7 when the car was in use. Never a good thing.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com