Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Are some floor mats too luxurious to use?

I saw an ad for leather floor mats. I thought that was fancy. Now, I see sheepskin mats. First of all, they cost $499, $359 for the front only. If I had them, shouldn't the passengers remove their shoes before entering the car? Or maybe only use them on long trips without shoes?

Link: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...=2369&addcar=1

For me, I use rubber mats, made to fit a specific car, in the winter. In the summer, I use carpet mats with a secret trick. I put some memory foam underneath it so the carpet feels softer and spongier.

For the new car coming soon, I got these carpet mats in Black Herati. They are at the threshold of being a little too fancy for me but I got them, anyway. The Leopard is really too exotic and the Red Sultan is a bit too feminine.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I am too practical and use my rubber mats throughout the year now. And the original Saab mats that came with the car move around too much (for the driver) so it always looks wrong. And I can't get all the dirt out so the rubber mats look better after a quick rinse in a while.

I haven't found a good fit with generic mats yet. I tried the rubber mats from Weathertech but they also were a generic fit for the 9-5. If I would have those $500 mats in my Saab, I would have to take my shoes every time I get into my car. Which isn't all that practical.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    For summer I use some "Saab" carpet mats. They are cheap knock-offs I bough on eBay, but they've held up great, the color is spot on, have "SAAB" stitched on them, and they are a direct fit. I couldn't be happier with them. They've also got that ring for the front mats that a peg on the floor goes into to prevent them from sliding forwards. Now after almost 7 years, the rings are rusty but the mats look pretty good. I just clean them once or twice a year with some greased lightning or similar. A few stains, but hey, they are mats.

My winter mats are some Michelin mats that are just generic. But I've trimmed them so they fit pretty darn good. The individual wells are too deep to clean real well, but with some BleachWhite and some scrub brushed I can get most of it. Again, I'm not too picky here.

I could never do leather or sheepskin. They simply wouldn't hold up to daily use without removing your footwear, which is just plain ridiculous. I also couldn't go with a pattern mat. Just not my style. I like just plain mats that match the color of the interior and, given the option, I like it to have the corresponding car brand or model stitched on the mats. Nothing huge and tacky, but to make it look like an OEM part. The fit is typically the hardest problem to solve and not have to spend a fortune. But you typically get what you pay for, and quality mats often outlast how long you own the car.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I love the Saab Rubber mats - I need a set for the new combi. My 2005 I have a Saab rubber/cloth set installed and I actually like those too. Cloth mats do not work for me - I like to be dirty and track things around.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    sheepskin. They simply wouldn't hold up to daily use without removing your footwear, which is just plain ridiculous.
    Very true. Yet, I am intrigued by the sheepskin. I'm sure that I won't buy it. Instead, I will use an old sheepskin seat cover that hung from the headrest (not wrapped around the seat) where the hanging strap stretched too much to use. Now it's just a rectangular piece of sheepskin. I will fold it and use it as a passenger sided floor mat maybe once in a lifetime on some long road trip where it's sunny, dry, and shoes off.