Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    He's supposedly in advertising.

But yeah, funny how he accuses you of spending work time on the internet, yet he fails to see that he's doing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Frank, might want to set the forum so only members can view threads. I'm seeing stuff that I posted here on 92x.
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch View Post
    Frank, might want to set the forum so only members can view threads. I'm seeing stuff that I posted here on 92x.
    That doesn't prevent them from signing up here as a member. And I rather hope they don't.. Search engines won't be happy with it either.

I would contact VerticalScope as they are definitely going too far in my opinion. I don't have experience with libel or defamation but this is a bit too much. Not sure if VS really cares though... It's interesting VS doesn't have their name on the site anywhere. Admins for that site have come and gone so I don't think they really care besides the advertising dollars.

There are just a group of bored little kids. Very sad they have nothing better to do.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'm kind of amazed they think a prospective employer (if you are looking for a job, Mr. Hibb), would read their stuff and actually take it into consideration.

Just read their thread on the Penn State scandal, and you'll see what kind of people they are.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    We had a guy on another forum actually going from Nevada to Vermont to call a guy out over some technique issues. It was over work out kind of stuff and it was a shame because the one guy left his job and though he was a lawyer and a bit brash was a contributor. I did not like him much but he had good things to say. The local PD had to be notified the guy was on his way. Not a fire drill, it was quite real.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum

Scot
    EqualOpportunity Offender
    Saab(s)
    1989 900 SPG Turbo,1993 9000 Aero Turbo, 2000 9-5 Aero, 2005 9-2x Aero, 2011 9-3 Aero Sedan Turbo4
    @Hirsch - yeah right? And I took a few days off of work and am home to hang with the family and prep for long business trip (I would never have this much time at work...and even if I did, in my line of work I could sit on a site all day and it wouldn't be an issue...because I'm responsible to get my stuff done and meet deadlines, so a day on a site and I'm working 16hours to catch up!

@Frank - is VerticalScope a part of AutoForums.com? I recall 92x.com's founder Iota saying he transferred ownership of the site to AutoForums.com in a post I read a few weeks ago.

@Shazam - Nope, definitely NOT looking for work...sitting in a great place with a major pharma firm, work with great people and the cashola is very nice (met 2nd wife at an ad agency, she was able to quit her job when she had our first child almost 6 years ago). An yes, in my line of work i never hire or agree to interview someone without first Googling them and their resume. BUT, regardless, you wouldn't think some of the things in that thread against me would be harmful (you must not have seen the bad, direct-threat ones)...but in the advertising/marketing business in the tri-state area (ESPECIALLY the pharmaceutical industry), everyone knows everyone is some way...what's why I've never burned a bridge in the 20 years I've been in the pharma industry. But you always have enemies (envious people, people who think they should have your job, someone you pissed off an not know it) who are constantly trying to dig up dirt on you. Plus security and HR do random checks every now and again, so most of the stuff in the 'let's ruin Scot's life' thread could have in many different ways caused harm to my family and myself...especially the stuff that was written and altered (there were 2 nice members emailing me screen shots of the threads all day (I wasn't going near the darn site), towards the end i had emails coming in every 5 seconds as posts were going crazy and getting erased. And if Hirsch is correct and Topher is in the industry, chances are I have or will run into him (or someone he knows) at some point in time. ANYWAY...it's over...a member emailed me that Topher did not make the calls to a company that he said he did, and he erased the Anti-Scot thread. So it's in the past...I didn't like what I "became" when i was there and being attacked/attacking back...It's so hard to look away when someone is coming at you. Google did index the threads and cached some of them (depending on your search criteria -- see this one, it was a VERY MILD one before it turned REAL ugly).

@Tunnanxwd - yes, they are taking this sort of thing VERY serious as of late! A member who was sending me screen shots yesterday gave me some additional links to news on adults that were fines, arrested, and/or sued for pulling things similar to what happened at 92x.com yesterday! The internet isn't want it used to be...if you threaten someone, harass them publicly, or harm them via online postings that end having off-line implications, you can get in some serious hot water. But like I said, even though I was told there's a new thread talking about me as "the oil guy", it's water under the bridge (I don't care if they rip me...as long as they don't put my family in harms way)......but I am keeping those hundreds of screen shots emailed to me just in case it happens again or I get a call from HR!

Thanks for the help/info guys...

Scot
    EqualOpportunity Offender
    Saab(s)
    1989 900 SPG Turbo,1993 9000 Aero Turbo, 2000 9-5 Aero, 2005 9-2x Aero, 2011 9-3 Aero Sedan Turbo4
    In trying to forget about what happened in 92x.com yesterday....

------------------------

BUT to bring this thread back around...I really want to tease out this whole Synth versus Dino oil discussion (maybe that's a whole different thread and not one just relevant to this 9-2x Aero thread???). I've always used synth (usually Mobile-1 as the label under the hood states by Saab), and I never had a problem. I always broke a car in with Dino, but later switched to Synth after 10-15k. But when I had my 2005 9-2, I noticed on my first Saab-covered oil change they were only covering them every 7,500 and were using Dino only. I figured it was them being cheap, but never heard of 7,500mile intervals with Dino, especially for a car driven hard. When I requested that they not use Dino, mechanics said no. I said i would pay the extra cash and they said "it's not the cash, it's that these engines can't run Synth". Still thinking it was just a dumb mistake and they were being cheap, when my last free oil change was up, ~6k later I swapped our the oil with Mobile-1. Within 3,500 miles the engine spun a bearing while racing a 911 (mind you I originally purchased the 9-2 for my wife as a stop-gap car while waiting for the 9-7 to come out...she loves SUVs...so it was an automatic tranny, so it's not like i was running in the red or anything). And that engine NEVER lost oil either, and was full when the tow truck met me on the side of I-287. Because I was BARELY over warranty Saab refused to cover it...I pushed back like crazy and they decided to split the bill 50/50 on "good will" (which was STILL $7,500)! When they finally gave me my car back after close to TWO MONTHS, they topped it off with Dino oil. At around 5k I did the oil change and used Synth again. About 4k miles later I was racing a Honda and heard a familiar sound...hardcore knocking on the one side of the engine. I checked the oil level and it was good, so I limped it home. I took it by my neighborhood mom and pop shop and he said "that's an inner engine problem", so I had it towed to Saab. You guessed it, another spun bearing! But this time it was just barely under the 10,000mile parts warranty, so Saab had to completely cover all costs. Because they were covering the costs they again made me produce all my service reciepts to prove I kept up the engine, and tested the oil in the engine to ensure it wasn't half "new". All was strait, so they took 1.5 months and put in another engine. however THIS TIME they told me that the "slipperiness" of most Synth oils is too much for the engine and at high RPMs it allows a bearing to "over spin" and "dislodge" (I think that was the term they used) and pretty much wreck the short block. They put the "only use dino oil" disclaimer in 2 places on my discharge paperwork and told me if I indeed used Synth again and popped another bearing they would not replace the engine (this is the image I scanned and attached to the 1st thread).

So I figured, oh well, I'll just pay less for oil changes from now on and make sure I change more often. This was good for about 25,000 miles, and may road races...then I heard the hard-ass knocking after, once again, racing (a Mustang this time), and I thought 'WTF? I'm using Dino like they said and changing every ~5k'! This time Saab was in flux with GM, so I was dealing with a multitude of folks who couldn't give 2 shits if I would never buy a Saab again, or if I every had my engine replaced. After 2 months of going back and forth I started looking into having a Subaru guy do the engine for MUCH less than Saab charges for labor, when I received a call from a case manager at Saab. He asked me to write up a full account of everything from day-1, include ALL paperwork, including every oil change ever done on it, and he would be the "ambassador" for me to petition Saab to cover the engine. While I was checking all the receipts to ensure I didn't have them mixed with my other Saab's receipts, you'll never guess what I found...receipt/paperwork for the last oil change I had done (~23k past the last engine replacement) showed that I made a payment with my card and was charged for the cheaper Dino change...but the paperwork attached to the receipt was for a 2005 Mazda that had SYNTHETIC put in it! I called the shop and they said "it was probably a mix-up, but if not be happy you got a premium oil change and only paid for a conventional oil change". I told him that if their blunder kept me from getting Saab to pay for another engine, I would get my lawyer to ensure they cover the $13k. I shredded the paperwork and attached a "new" sheet to the receipt (its price matched the cost of the last 4 Dino changes) and submitted to Saab. To make a long story shorter...it sat at JMK for over a year whilst fighting with corporate to cover it. Then I received a call from JMK saying I had to pickup my car as they needed the space in their lot, and that Saab was going under and GM was letting go. He said it was drivable, so inless I wanted to pay them $2,500 to dissassemble the engine JUST TO DIAGNOSE why it was clanking and misfiring on half the pistons. I picked it up and drove it home (I have that service record as well...what assholes! Of course I couldn't get it past sate inspection as the engine light was constantly on and the car shook like someone was rocking it when the idle was low (of course, with 2 misfires you don't have the opposing cylinders to fire and cancel out the ones on the other side of the flat-ass engine and you get a massive rocking). Mind you, it only did this, as far as I can tell, when I was idling (which would drop downwards of 200RPM sitting at a light, then the engine light would flash like 10 times and remain on...which it wouldn't do if I popped it in neutral and gassed it to ~1000RPM). Quite vexing. I went on and on and back and forth with Saab, etc till I wore them out.

By this point the engine had been swapped out by mechanics that were trained by Saab...but never touched a 9-2x engine in their life, so more and more was going wrong with the car...after 120k I parked it in my driveway turnaround during Hurricane Irene and enough damage was done to it (between the time the branches fell on it AND the date the adjuster finally arrived - see pics in top thread), to have it paid out as a "total loss"...allowing me to get my current 9-3 Aero.

So ever since the second engine went and a ton of mechanics blamed it on Synth, I have been on a hunt to find out WTF happened, and if anyone else had the same problem. I found a small handful of fellow 9-2 owners who also had spun bearings (and verified were running synth), but all of them also modified their cars and had manual trannys, so they couldn't say if it was a synth-thing or not...but before I was ostracized from the 9-2x forums, a few people had replied about troubles with Synth.

When my new 2011 9-3 runs out of free Saab service, I plan to continue using Mobile-1 in it, as the only problems I ever had with Synth was with the 9-2.

Obviously there weren't enough 9-2x Aeros produced that year that didn't have voided warranties to compile enough data to have Saab even think of a recall...which is too bad because I may never know the true mechanism of action Synth has that's different than Dino for that particular engine, because it HAS to be SOMETHING related to it, 3 engines linked to Synth changes can't be a coincident. Maybe at high revs hot Synth had trouble getting pumped into the right spot fast enough? I don't know...but there HAS to be SOMETHING other than the "it's too slippery and spins bearing" line that was preached to me by many long-term, albeit Saab, mechanics, techs, service managers, etc!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotHibb View Post
    @Frank - is VerticalScope a part of AutoForums.com? I recall 92x.com's founder Iota saying he transferred ownership of the site to AutoForums.com in a post I read a few weeks ago.
    AutoForums.com = VerticalScope = AutoGuide. VS is the main company with many different brands and sites. They also own SaabCentral, SaabScene and SaabLink. I haven't been a huge fan of that company, to put it mildly.. http://saabworld.net/f142/long-story...e-forums-1427/

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Personally, I don't think that synthetic oil was the cause of your blown motors. But thats only my opinion. But a boxer engine is a completely different animal from an inline 4 or 6cyl or a "V" engine. I had a 2000 Legacy GT 2.5 boxer with an autotragic. I always ran "real" oil in it, granted this was 11 years ago and synthetic oil was still in it's infancy and therefore very expensive and hard to find.

As for 92x, topher, TSC etc; I'm not sure if I should feel honored or be worried that they are talking about me months after I was banned from TSC, but it's kind of weird to be talked about on a forum that you've never belonged to. It borders on obsession. In any case, I don't care what they say or think about me. They are overgrown children. Whats sad is that what topher is trying to do, destroy you, would probably be viewed as less than favorable behavior by his employer and he doesn't seem to realize that.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Sometimes an engine is just a poor design. Take a look at the PCA site and see what they say about the Boxster series in the first years. They probably have what was causing the failures. At any rate they saved me from buying a car with that motor. Yeah, the Porsche Club of America saved me from buying a Porsche. They were replacing a lot of "box" engines for a few years, virtually each and every one. But the engine had to fail. Even folks who bought used were being covered. It just may give a clue.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum