Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jaaae

engine light after 10 kms of ownership

Well, first I gotta say I LOVE my 2004 9-5 Arc, what a machine!

However just my luck. I was out and about tonight, drop offs to Sparks and Soccer, then to Hortons for a coffee, then pick the 2 kids up.
    Then to the shop.
    Whilst I was sat with the engine on waiting for the mrs to return, the engine light appeared

Looking at the codes, it's got 2
    1 - n/a
    2 - P1334

I didn't notice any issues, but then it's all nice and new to me so what do I know?

Any advice on the cause would be gratefully received

Thanks
    J

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    P1312: Combustion detection Cyl. 1+2. Open Circuit / Short to B+.
    P1334: Combustion detection Cyl. 3+4. Open Circuit / Short to B+.

I had the P1312 code a short while ago and it meant the Direct Ignition Casette was on its way out. These seem to fail occasionally and the only thing you can do is to replace with a new one. It's a common issue as noted in the Buyers Guide.

Ignition
    Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC) wears over time and may need to be replaced very 60-80K miles or more. Cost is about $280 in the US.
    There is a chance it may just be the spark plugs that need to be replaced. If you don't know when they were replaced, you should replace them. When you install a new DIC, it is a good idea to replace the spark plugs as well. Make sure to get the right kind for your engine and only use NGK spark plugs. But this code and the miles on your car point to a failing DIC.

When I got the P1312 code on my car, it was running fine and I didn't notice any problem at all. It also didn't come on all the time. The DIC may last a little bit longer but can fail completely without warning.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'm not sure if you need T5 or T7 (if I remember correctly, if you need T5, you can use T7, but if you need T7, you must use T7).
    The Saab Link Forums

Frank
    Saab(s)
    You need the black T7 DIC for your car. eEuroparts lists US$ 294.92 as the current price and they ship to Canada. Part number is 55559955.

Mark Niskanen
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-3 ARC SS, 04 9-5 Aero Combi
    [FONT=Tahoma]I have had great luck with this site for nearly all of my OEM Saab parts super fast shipping, correct parts and great prices. Unfortunately i do not think they ship to Canada. I figured I'd mention it here anyways for others.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma]I’ve had a bad DIC on my 9000 with no Check Engine Light but the car ran terrible but have not had the issue yet on my 9-3 or 9-5… maybe the T7s are better at detecting a problem before the unit is shot. Either way it’s an expensive part but so easy to swap out anyone can do it.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]04 2004 Saab 95 Ignition Cassette - Engine Electrical - OES Genuine - PartsGeek

jaaae
    great, thanks guys.

Well that's $300 I didn't budget for, but then I'm kinda jinxed with cars

I'm gonna go back to the dealer and complain, see where that gets me (not hopeful)

If that fails, a set of plugs will be my fist

Also the rear end has started creaking a bit....I'm guessing this is the shocks too

I do LOVE this car tho

jaaae
    hmmm I'm thinking this car has been sat on the forecourt for a while in the rain and snow...maybe damp caused it

Mark Niskanen
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-3 ARC SS, 04 9-5 Aero Combi
    Keep us posted.

jaaae
    hmmm the 'time for service' light just came on too LOL....going to fit new plugs and do an oil change see if that helps.

question...I've been running it on regular, it just dawned on me that this may be the cause ?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaae View Post
    question...I've been running it on regular, it just dawned on me that this may be the cause ?
    Possible, the 9-5 really likes premium gas.