Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible

2004 9-3 Convertible top will not latch PLEASE HELP!!!!

Okay guys, this is my first post on here and I hope someone can help.

I am very versed on working on this car and have been a mechanic for 20+ years. That being said I am pulling my HAIR out over this top condition that I have going on. I am in between jobs and don't have access to any scanner with Saab functionality also.

Not-so brief history:

1st bow hydraulic ram was replaced a few years ago, straight forward replacement; installed and bleed the system afterwards. Everything was great....for two years.

3rd bow hydraulic ram started leaking, replaced it with a new one. Bleed system, and now the 6th bow will not latch, and do to that I believe the 5th bow will not close or latch when top is put in the up position. Soft top cover(5th bow) will latch on left side but not on right side.

I can latch 5th bow manually, but the top will still not close.

The rear window stays up as if its waiting on a command that the soft top cover is latched, however it is not getting that signal I suppose.

I also don't understand what holds the top down, are the rams pressurized the whole time the top is closed? That doesn't seem to be a good theory and I doubt that's the case, but what holds the top down to the tonneau cover?

Luca
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '71 96/C900AERO MY90/C900EP MY91/9000CSE AERO 2.0L MY 96/900NG MY 95/ 9.3NG TTID AERO MY09 /9.3x MY1
    Quote Originally Posted by mspeed5326 View Post
    Okay guys, this is my first post on here and I hope someone can help.

I am very versed on working on this car and have been a mechanic for 20+ years. That being said I am pulling my HAIR out over this top condition that I have going on. I am in between jobs and don't have access to any scanner with Saab functionality also.

Not-so brief history:

1st bow hydraulic ram was replaced a few years ago, straight forward replacement; installed and bleed the system afterwards. Everything was great....for two years.

3rd bow hydraulic ram started leaking, replaced it with a new one. Bleed system, and now the 6th bow will not latch, and do to that I believe the 5th bow will not close or latch when top is put in the up position. Soft top cover(5th bow) will latch on left side but not on right side.

I can latch 5th bow manually, but the top will still not close.

The rear window stays up as if its waiting on a command that the soft top cover is latched, however it is not getting that signal I suppose.

I also don't understand what holds the top down, are the rams pressurized the whole time the top is closed? That doesn't seem to be a good theory and I doubt that's the case, but what holds the top down to the tonneau cover?
    Hello,
    to solve the problem the easy way is to use the Tech 2...it has a function that can check all the sensors and the temporized times to open the hood...
    Surely you'll have a Hall sensor or a small detail that actually fails..
    After working for SAAB for over 30 years and knowing the model i suggest to avoid experiments...The tech 2 test is a must when encountering issues on NG roofs..
    Regards Luca.