Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    95 Aero Hot Estate 2.3
    No worries, i got it working by using your instructions from the main page, i used a scotch lock to the wire from the steering controls to the blue one in the SID and it works! Except it seems the buttons dont correlate correctly, volume up changes source and volume down puts the volume up.... from a quick google it seems the later 9-5's (04/05) models used automatic buttons on the manuals which is odd! Apparently InCarTec/Connects2 can reprogram them so have just mailed them for support. At least this is good information for anyone else wanting to try also.

One question for you Frank - My radio now (unsure if i knocked a wire or put something lose) powers up when i turn the car on (i can hear the head unit aligning the CD lens etc) but doesn't fully turn on, i have to press any button on the headunit for it to do that. Does that sound like one of my spliced wires need re-splicing? It seems like it doesn't remember its settings each time so perhaps something to do with it not keeping power?

Thanks

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Maybe that's just how your head unit works. If you have the yellow wire (constant power) and red wire (ignition on power) connected correctly, it should remember the settings. If you have the yellow lead from the head unit connected to the same source as the red wire, it will not keep its settings.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    95 Aero Hot Estate 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Maybe that's just how your head unit works. If you have the yellow wire (constant power) and red wire (ignition on power) connected correctly, it should remember the settings. If you have the yellow lead from the head unit connected to the same source as the red wire, it will not keep its settings.

Turns out my steering wheel adapter was blocking the signal for some reason! I bought a new steering wheel adapter from incartec and it only came with 1 ISO connection, so they offered to send an extension block with it but i just cut my 2 ISO plugs in half through the small plastic in the middle and now it works perfectly. I also had to purchase the "Automatic" gears version as it seems as above the later 2003-2006 mk1's have automatic buttons on the steering wheel so if you use the manual version they don't correlate correctly. Also dont mess around under the steering wheel cover to connect the steering wheel adapter just use a scotch lock directly into the solid blue wire going into the back of the SID, i think the saab 9-3's color is black and yellow?
    https://incartec.co.uk/product/Saab-...-ctrl-interfac

Works like a charm now without needing to solder a resistor or anything soldered on. I think now i can finalize my setup and perhaps write a guide in a seperate post about how i did it and what i purchased for a 2004 95 in case anyone else wants to follow suit and then link back to this thread for the technical side of things.

Thanks again for all the help Frank, couldn't have done it without your collected wisdom.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapley View Post
    Also dont mess around under the steering wheel cover to connect the steering wheel adapter
    Completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Tapley View Post
    just use a scotch lock directly into the solid blue wire going into the back of the SID
    Scotch loc terminals are insulation displacing connectors designed for solid core wiring, you will NEVER get a totally satisfactory connection using one on multistrand wiring. See here for more detail http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33375

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Sportwagon, Parchment Silver
    Has anyone been successful in remapping one of the steering wheel buttons to Siri/google assistant?

Michael Monscheuer
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 sedan 2001, 9-5 station 2001
    I just can affiliate myself to all previous participants in this awesome thread: Thanks a million to all for the helpful information provided - Especially to Frank, of course !

I got hold of a 2001 9-5 2.3t station wagon (imported from Japan with just ~40k miles on the odo) a couple of weeks ago and decided to replace the ex-factory radio/cd/cassette unit (AS 1 ?) with a Pioneer AVIC z810dab.
    Since I don't have a heated garage/workshop and it's too cold outside here these days ( http://michelswunderland.de/weather/current_en.html ) for doing the swap myself, I asked the local car-hifi dealer to do the swap. They managed to integrate the z810dab nicely with both the dashboard's panelling and the car's functions (say they connected the z810dab to the speed signal, the head light switch and the ignition key's off position successfully).

Unfortunately, they failed in putting the steering wheel buttons to work together with a PAC SWI-RC.
    The PAC SWI-RC recognises that buttons are being pressed but passes on the wrong information to the z810dab - or the latter misinterprets the PAC's signals.
    It's the same or similar to what's been described in post #431 of this thread:
    Volume up changes source and volume down puts the volume up.... in short, pressing a button results in a wrong/unwanted function on the z810dab.
    I checked with their technician whether he used the correct settings on the PAC for this setup and he obviously did it right (according to the instructions which came with the PAC).

The 9-5 has an automatic transmission, but no buttons on the steering wheel for shifting gears.
    Is this perhaps an issue here ?
    After having read the complete thread (took me half of the afternoon not being a native speaker) one might think so _IF_ this PAC's firmware is designed to reflect the shift gears buttons of the later 9-5 models.

I could think of two approaches as for a solution to this problem:
    1 - Getting hold of an older PAC SWI-PS (just like Frank's)
    2 - Giving the PAC SWI-RC a shit by pressing the "wrong" buttons on the steering wheel when programming it.
    Say press VOL+ when the PAC expects 'change source' and press VOL- when it expects VOL+ etc.

#2 may turn out to be some sort of time-consuming roulette :-)

Has anybody else experienced this kind of malfunction with a PAC SWI-RC on a 9-5 ?
    Is there any remedy ?

Maybe I should mention that there seem to be quite a few differences between European (/American ?) and Japanese incarnations of the 9-5:
    - The central locking's RC uses a different frequency and operates at short distances only (~5ft).
    - The CAN bus ( i bus) seems to either run on a different speed or it uses a different protocol: A CAN bus adapter known to work for this purpose on European 9-5s does not recognise it's connected to the bus

Any idea, hint or (even better :-) help is greatly appreciated !

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Gary fisher
    I could be wrong since your dealing with different markets, but for me it took awhile to get my head unit to read the right signals.

I have a 2000 with an automatic. I installed a Pyle android head unit. All together it took me 10 minutes to wire in the pac-Rc and about an hour and half to program it with the head unit. Same issue where some bottoms would read wrong or double program. At one point I had 3 volume up buttons. I did finally get it. I have also noticed different apps will only read certain buttons. Like pandora will only accept vol+and- but no skip. Spotify will accept all the buttons except my programmed home button.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Michael Monscheuer
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Toka100, first off, thanks for your reply and insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Toka100 View Post
    At one point I had 3 volume up buttons.
    :-) The miracles of modern technology.

I did finally get it.
    Glad to hear you managed to outwit the beast.
    What exactly did you do to accomplish this and to put the PAC SWI-RC to work with your head unit on your car ?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Gary fisher
    It just took a lot of programming and resetting until they buttons worked right. I used an older head unit so the interface wasn’t the best.

The best I can remember was

Set the pac-swc-Rc into program. Enter swc learn on head unit. Hold the button on the steering wheel and press the button on the headunit screen. My headunit didn’t support short and long button holds so they are all long holds. After I set all the buttons I would see if they held or worked. If not reset the headunit learn and started again.

It was frustrating a few times I was about to say the hell with it and give up. Luckily even after have the battery disconnected a few times for engine work and a front end collision the programming still is intact.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Michael Monscheuer
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    It just took a lot of programming and resetting until they buttons worked right. (...)
    I see. IOW this means it's nothing but a matter of patience until one gets pressing the buttons on the steering wheel and the PAC sorted out correctly ?