Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Navigation DVD - new version on older Denso units

My nav DVD is the original that came with the car and is dated 2004. I was trying to find out if a newer version of the DVD would work with older units in the Saab 9-5. It appears the nav unit hasn't changed from MY 2005 through 2009 so my best guess was a newer disk would work fine.

https://www.gmnavdisc.com/ only lists disks for 2007 - 2009 models. It's interesting the DVDs for the 9-5 are also compatible with other GM models.(Corvette/Grand Prix/9-5/STS Navigation Disc). Those come up on eBay quite often and are bit less expensive than ordering new from GM.

I am using the 2009 DVD (25976806) and it works fine. They actually went from 1 to 2 disks (East and West) because they couldn't fit all data on 1 DVD anymore. They are dual-layer DVD's and there is about 8GB on each disk.

I also found a way of making a backup copy on a DVD-R DL so I am using that in the car and keep the original disk at home. The 2005 disk was already scratched up a bit so I can always burn a new copy if needed.

I also got my hands on a 2008 Western Europe map DVD and that one works fine as well. I don't really have a need for it but it is interesting to see Trollhattan on the screen with the Saab Bil museum and Saab ANA as points-of-interests. Unfortunately, it couldn't provide any guidance to drive there from Michigan.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 22 September 2010 at 13:27.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2,0T Hirsch 2006
    Hi, very interesting to hear that you have a 2008 Western Europe map dvd, as I have tried to get my hands on one of those. I live in Denmark and my Saab dealer tells me that no dvd's are in stock ... and if I find one it will cost a fortune! Could you perhaps tell me where you got your dvd or if you have input as to where I might find one, that to would be helpfull! I have a 2006 Saab 9-5 and the map is a bit outdated.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I was playing around with making a backup copy of my original navigation DVD and found the European map files online. I was just curious to see if those would work for Europe but obviously, I don't have a use for those maps. It wasn't all that easy though and not legal either with software copyright and so on. However, if the manufacturer/dealer can't sell you the latest update or other software anymore, it becomes a bit of a grey area.

The navigation system in the 2006 Saab 9-5 is the same as the Corvette C6. Try to search for something like "corvette europe navigation map" and it may point you in the right direction.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...disk-maps.html

I also checked on the official GM nav disc site but they don't show anything available for to Europe. Perhaps you can send them a message inquiring about availability. I entered the part number from that Corvette forum but no luck either. http://www.gmnavdisc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thank you, I will do just that and update you, when I have news!

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero

2012 GM Nav disc does not work in 2005 Saab 9-5 Nav Unit

I bought a 2012 Nav disc from gmnavdisc.com for my 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero and once it arrived I learned it did not work. :-( (I had e-mailed gmnavdisc.com to ask before purchasing it and they told me it would work.) I informed them of this and then they told me that it only works in 2007 and newer models!

My question is: What is the newest GM Nav disc that WILL still work in the 2005 Navigation system? (gmnavdisc.com told me that will not be making any new discs for the 2005-2006 9-5s, ever.)

Thanks in advance!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plantsman View Post
    I bought a 2012 Nav disc from gmnavdisc.com for my 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero and once it arrived I learned it did not work. :-( (I had e-mailed gmnavdisc.com to ask before purchasing it and they told me it would work.) I informed them of this and then they told me that it only works in 2007 and newer models!

My question is: What is the newest GM Nav disc that WILL still work in the 2005 Navigation system? (gmnavdisc.com told me that will not be making any new discs for the 2005-2006 9-5s, ever.)

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Plantsman,

I recently bought a 2009 update of western europe and was told that this was not only the newest update ... it was the last disc. It cost a fortune! During my search for this I have heard that discs for Corvette C5 and Landrover coukd work, but it may be a different story in the USA.

Hope you find something which will work!

Carsten ... from Denmark

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Munkholm View Post
    Hi Plantsman,

I recently bought a 2009 update of western europe and was told that this was not only the newest update ... it was the last disc. It cost a fortune! During my search for this I have heard that discs for Corvette C5 and Landrover coukd work, but it may be a different story in the USA.

Hope you find something which will work!

Carsten ... from Denmark
    Hi Carsten! I have not been able to get any believable information from the people at GMnavdisc. The newest is: "No update disc will work with the 2005 Saab 9-5 system." I find that difficult to believe. 2007? 2008? 2009? 2010? and 2011?...nothing? I know 2012 does not work. I know 2006 does work b/c it came with the car. :-( I wish I could borrow discs to try them out! LOL I won't be buying another new car with in-dash Navigation; that's for sure!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hi Carsten! I have not been able to get any believable information from the people at GMnavdisc. The newest is: "No update disc will work with the 2005 Saab 9-5 system." I find that difficult to believe. 2007? 2008? 2009? 2010? and 2011?...nothing? I know 2012 does not work. I know 2006 does work b/c it came with the car. :-( I wish I could borrow discs to try them out! LOL I won't be buying another new car with in-dash Navigation; that's for sure!
    Hi again,
    My experience are exactly the same as yours, and I will not buy a car with navigation either. One of the things I heard when I was investigating into this area was, that a newer disc (there should be updates in 2007 and 2009) will update the software inside the nav-system it was after this Vette and Landrover discs should work.

If you're interested in testing for this purpose you are welcome to borrow my disc (the maps are western europe). If you send your adress to me cmunkholm@webspeed.dk, I will send the disc. Please return the disc though as it really helped me getting around and it was extremely expensive (4 times the price of a tomtom gps system)

Carsten

Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Munkholm View Post
    Hi again,
    My experience are exactly the same as yours, and I will not buy a car with navigation either. One of the things I heard when I was investigating into this area was, that a newer disc (there should be updates in 2007 and 2009) will update the software inside the nav-system it was after this Vette and Landrover discs should work.

If you're interested in testing for this purpose you are welcome to borrow my disc (the maps are western europe). If you send your adress to me cmunkholm@webspeed.dk, I will send the disc. Please return the disc though as it really helped me getting around and it was extremely expensive (4 times the price of a tomtom gps system)

Carsten
    I apologize for the delay. I got your message via e-mail and then got busy and every time I remembered that I wanted to write back I was away from the computer, very sorry. I don't have any additional information yet. I appreciate the offer of trying the 2009 'Western Europe' disc, but unfortunately I don't think the 'North America' discs necessarily coincide. Thank you, though. :-) I need to find someone with a 2005 Saab 9-5 who has or has tried 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011 'NA' disc/s.

Thanks again, and glad 2009 'WE' works for you!
    Paul

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I apologize for the delay. I got your message via e-mail and then got busy and every time I remembered that I wanted to write back I was away from the computer, very sorry. I don't have any additional information yet. I appreciate the offer of trying the 2009 'Western Europe' disc, but unfortunately I don't think the 'North America' discs necessarily coincide. Thank you, though. :-) I need to find someone with a 2005 Saab 9-5 who has or has tried 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011 'NA' disc/s.

Thanks again, and glad 2009 'WE' works for you!
    Paul
    Hello again Plantsman,

No worries about when you can answer. I just got back from a 5 days conference in London and I haven't been looking in here for some days. In the meantime another Saabperson send me a link from Rumania (of all countries) and it looks as if they have newer discs for Europe. You might look into this - I must tell you though, that I myself have not been in contact with the persons behind this website:

HARTA CD DVD NAVIGATIE BMW MERCEDES AUDI OPEL HONDA NISSAN RENAULT CITROEN PEUGEOT VW ROMANIA 2012: SAAB 9-5 DVD HARTA NAVIGATIE DENSO EUROPA(full) + ROMANIA 2010-2011

Hope you will get some navigation which works for you.

Carsten