Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 convertible

Oil change at fast lube places and dealers

OK so I went in too a fast lube type place because I ran out ta time to do it my self. They put in 5.3 quarts.....the owners manual is saying 4.2 quarts of oil. And the dealer is saying 5.5 quarts of oil. Why would the owners manual say 4.2 quarts? Wouldn't this be a problem if you were always putting I. A quart low?
    Last edited by nordwulf; 05 December 2014 at 01:21. Reason: changed thread title

Richard Klein
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 SAAB 9-5
    The filter holds some oil, too. Only maybe 1/4 - 1/2 qt, though, so that doesn't really answer the question...

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Very strange. My V8 truck only uses 5 quarts when you change the oil and filter!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by nkdwpn40 View Post
    They put in 5.3 quarts.....the owners manual is saying 4.2 quarts of oil. And the dealer is saying 5.5 quarts of oil.
    Did you actually see them putting in 5.3 quarts or is that what you were billed for?

The WIS shows your engine oil capacity including filter is 5.0 liters (5.3 quarts) without oil cooler, 5.4 liters with oil cooler and 4.0 liters (4.2 quarts) when servicing. When you change the oil, there is always oil left in the head, oil lines, turbo, oil cooler and so on.

I usually put 4 quarts and a little bit more in my 2.3T 9-5 and the owners manual states it takes 4.1 quarts including the filter. And I end up with the oil level at around half way between the min / max lines on the dipstick. Difference between min and max levels is 1 quart.

Quote Originally Posted by nkdwpn40 View Post
    Why would the owners manual say 4.2 quarts?
    Trust the manual, not the oil change place or the dealer. Not saying that all these places have bad intentions but sounds like an easy way to make some extra money.

One more reason to change engine oil yourself. And you can never check if the oil coming from that hose is exactly what they say it is.