Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I got the oil pan on, the alternator assembly, PVC box, and fixed that stripped bolt. The bolt that was stripped is now 14mm. (Handy to have a bench grinder!)
    I didn't get all I wanted done due to family. My wife and 5 year old daughter booth have colds so I was running in and out allot.
    I put the turbo back together... (No sign of the kit I ordered... tracking # doesn't seem to work either...) So It looks like I'll have to run it the way it is for now.
    Tomorrow if I get home before dark I'll get the water pump on and turbo. Then the head!
    I'm quite pleased with the gasket stuff that came with the timing kit. The tube is huge. I'm sure there is enough to do 3 or 4 engines.
    The gasket kit came with all the gaskets and most O rings. I replaced the oil pickup and the cross over tube O rings in the sump. They were hard and brittle. (The only O rings it didn't have are for the vacuum pump....The thing that sticks out the left side of the head and connects to the larger PVC?? hard plastic hose...?)
    I decided not to paint the oil pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I must say this project has been a lot of fun. I did learn allot.
    Today I put the head on.
    I also put the PVC tank thing at the back of the block on 4 times today! That means I had to take it off 3 times! PITA.
    A different reason for each removal. (I won't bore you.)
    I only broke one thing! A very important thing! As I was attempting to put the serpentine belt on I tried to release a bit more tension form the tensioner. (The thing with the 3mm allen key in it still.)
    Well I broke the casting that you put your 1/2 socket extension into!
    My remedy was drill a hole facing the front of the car (Kind of front left) and hope I could find something to go in the hole that would release the tension. So I used my long needle nose pliers to fit the hole and finally got the crazy 3mm allan key out and the belt on!!
    I got everything together and am missing one 10mm bolt...? It's probably well raked into the gravel now. Nothing too important, just holds the water hose to the turbo to the block. I'll move another until I can find a new bolt.

I decided thath I would put the LockTite gasket stuff on the timing chain cover area of the head gasket. Note the small pieces of foam that is supposed to make up for the lack of alignment of the 3 things. (Block, head, cover.)
    I tried to start the car and the battery is dead... I will go over to my shop tonight and get the battery charger so we are good to go tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Yeah car ran for like 12 seconds when I started it then it died to begin with and would just crank probably could have gotten away with just replacing broken things on tht engine because the old one had more miles on it but looked like it was in pretty good shape. Haven't looked into this one and don't care because I will be swapping it out with warranty. Running into some weird problems along way too. When I turn on lights I get the beep and info display thing and one high beam doesn't work it must be a wiring problem to that light. My seats are also weir seam like they rock when I accelerate or brake but I'm not a big guy so I don't think I broke them and I've only been in passenger seat once since I got it and that seats like it too. Trunk leaks aswell, lot of work with this car but I love this car

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    The light thing may be the orange relay under the hood. I had the same problem. I re-soldered the connections inside the orange relay and fixed!
    maybe check that the seats are bolted down properly. There are electronic things under them. Like the alarm sensor under the pass side. Can't remember what's under the dr side.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    The seat is missing a bolt Name:  IMG_1568[1].jpg
Views: 431
Size:  21.2 KB the orange relay I tried to open but it didn't work to well cut me up a little but whatever im going to try and tighten down head bolts tomorrow to see if it stops leaking or stops atleast a little because im getting puddles

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Good luck with the head tightening. Will it void your warranty though?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 linear
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    Good luck with the head tightening. Will it void your warranty though?
    No way they will know

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2.0T TD04-15T
    ¿Ha podido quitar la cubierta de la distribución sin soltar los soportes del motor para poder mover el motor?

Google Translate:
    Have you been able to remove the distribution cover without releasing the engine mounts to be able to move the engine?
    Last edited by nordwulf; 20 August 2019 at 07:09. Reason: added English translation

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.3t sw vector 185cv 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by eriklll View Post
    ¿Ha podido quitar la cubierta de la distribución sin soltar los soportes del motor para poder mover el motor?

Google Translate:
    Have you been able to remove the distribution cover without releasing the engine mounts to be able to move the engine?

GREAT eriklll. A cordial greeting from a former saabero

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-5 2.0T TD04-15T
    Quote Originally Posted by quake4 View Post
    GREAT eriklll. A cordial greeting from a former saabero

Greetings ex-Saabero¡¡