Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Aero Convertible

New Purchase | 2008 Aero Convertible - Anything specific to look out for?

Hello Everyone, So happy this forum exists! About ready to take the plunge (and a huge leap of faith) to purchase 2008 Aero Convertible with 64,000 miles on it. The car is currently 3 hours away from me and I am NOT a mechanic. Anything specific I should be careful of when making the ultimate decision to purchase? Everyone including husband telling me I'm crazy for buying this car, but I love them and after looking for months a dealer found one for me in color I want with low miles. I'm still very leary and want to make sure I don't get stuck with something that may cost me thousands to repair because I didn't know what to look for.

I do have an excellent local Saab mechanic and have already spoken to him about taking a good close look after I purchase but what about before?

Thank you!
    - JJD
    Last edited by JJD; 13 November 2017 at 17:19.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    my advice pay for the mechanic coming with you the day you want to see this wonder 2-300 $ is a good price for avoiding to buy a lemon !! he can too testing the diagnose tool with a Tech II (tool for issues and diagnosis the entire system specific for Saab )
    confidence will be building with him during the trip....

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The convertible top hydraulics can fail over time and may need repairs. I never owned a Saab convertible but this seems to be common with these cars. A good clean car history report from Carfax or AutoCheck is important with any car but doesn't always tell you everything.

The kind of dealer is important as well. The larger ones that also sell new cars can be a safer bet than a small local dealer. Is there any warranty offered with this car?

A pre-purchase inspection like swissaabist mentioned can be a good investment, especially if you don't know a lot about cars yourself.

Welcome to SaabWorld!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I would be happy to do that. Just need to find a mechanic in the area willing to do that for me. Anyone out there know a great SAAB mechanic in the Philadelphia area?

Thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Yes, a 90 day warrantee with the car is offered, but again its 3 hours away.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    A long-time forum member Jeffrey is a Saab master mechanic in SE PA. Not sure how far he is is from where the car is located but he is 50 miles from Philadelphia.

More info about his business here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=32946

There are also several Saab Service Centers in the area and I am sure they will be able to do a pre-purchase inspection:
    https://www.saabparts.com/en-us/usa/...ervice-center/

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Check the carfax. When you pay extra for a low mileage car pedigree is important, check the ownership history. Good low mileage cars should not have lots of short term owners or title locations. Little things like getting wet in a hurricane can be washed from a title by transferring from state to state.

Where winters get snowy and cold it's not uncommon to find good low mileage 10 year old convertibles, these are usually one to two owner cars and when you look a two owner car, when the second owner got the car and how many miles got put on the car before they decided it was time for a change can tell you a lot about the car.

Saab Enthusiast lowrider_rt2000's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3
    Quote Originally Posted by JJD View Post
    I would be happy to do that. Just need to find a mechanic in the area willing to do that for me. Anyone out there know a great SAAB mechanic in the Philadelphia area?

Thanks!
    Where about are you coming from to Philly? I'm not a mechanic but know a lot about cars and Saabs from forums, my own Saab and my friends Saab. I don't have a Tech II scanner but I have an obd2 reader that gives live readings about the car while it's running.

Sent from my 9-3

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Hey everyone,
    2 Owners. First owner 36k, Second owner 28k. I think that is OK. I don't think there are any hurricanes in PA, but that's a great point. Going to see it (and hopefully pick it up) on Saturday. Will keep you all posted!

JJD

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    We're counting on the feedback with some pictures just for exciting our curiosity