Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None yet

Hello from a possible Saab owner... 2003 9-5 Aero wagon w/ 47K miles

Just joined to more easily read the info here... looking now at a 1993 9-5 Aero with just 47K miles... started life in Michigan for a year or so, then went south to Naples Florida for a few years, now is back in Michigan.

Exterior/interior are in excellent shape (this was indeed the proverbial older lady who gave up the car to her family when she could no longer drive). Alas, the service record is incomplete and at least one recent oil change was with regular rather than synthetic oil... and so you can imagine I'm reading up on sludge problems and tests. I know the selling dealer who has changed the PCV valve and added full synthetic oil... but not yet any direct sludge testing.

May be taking this car home for the weekend... and if indeed I buy it I'll be back on the forum.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Just 47,000 miles! Nice find. If you are worried about sludge (I believe the main fear was remedied by 2003, but I'm not a 9-5 expert) you could always have the dealer drop the oil pan and see if they'll take that expense.

Good luck!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Just 47,000 miles! Nice find. If you are worried about sludge (I believe the main fear was remedied by 2003, but I'm not a 9-5 expert) you could always have the dealer drop the oil pan and see if they'll take that expense.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your note.

Suspect the dealer will not quite drop the oil pan... but I did stop and talk with Saab folk at K & N Automotive in Ann Arbor... their advice for much less time was pull the valve cover and check that first... if clean they didn't seem to think there would be a sludge problem that needed checking down below. And they did show me the the oil pan screen... a clean one and a pretty near clogged one. Quite a difference. I might get that done... I've been servicing my venerable 1997 Audi there for years and years.

An extra puzzlement is that the owner's manual and maintenance books in the car are for a 2002 vehicle. I've got to check the build date as registration info does say its a 2003.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    With such low miles, you would think the engine wouldn't be affected by sludge yet. Removing the valve cover will give a good idea of the overall condition of the engine as K & N suggested. Looks like a place you can trust. About - K & N Automotive

If all checks out, it sounds like a great find. Good luck!

You can check the model year with the VIN: http://saabworld.net/f144/vehicle-id...ber-vin-27623/

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None yet
    Quote Originally Posted by wulf View Post
    With such low miles, you would think the engine wouldn't be affected by sludge yet. Removing the valve cover will give a good idea of the overall condition of the engine as K & N suggested. Looks like a place you can trust. About - K & N Automotive

If all checks out, it sounds like a great find. Good luck!

You can check the model year with the VIN: http://saabworld.net/f144/vehicle-id...ber-vin-27623/
    Thanks for the VIN number link... Will pick the car up for extended test late today or tomorrow and add that to the check list.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2.0t, Past: 2000 9-5 2.3t, 1990 saab 900s
    That's less than 5k/yr, but that's a guess. That would lead me to believe that it was driven less than 5miles/trip, meaning the oil used and change intervals would be even more important. Short trips increase contaminant and moisture levels in the oil. I'd like to see 3k/ 6month oil changes with a low mileage older car.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None yet
    All good points. Mileage was higher the first year or so, then fell off. I suspect as the original owner aged toward not driving at all. Records are not complete but nothing to suggest the oil change frequency you describe.

Saab(s)
    2005 9-3 2.0t, Past: 2000 9-5 2.3t, 1990 saab 900s
    Well, I certainly think you could do worse. Try to use these comments to argue for a lower price.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    None yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Well, I certainly think you could do worse. Try to use these comments to argue for a lower price.
    We're at $7500 now... down from a not-so-realistic (I think) $8900 as original listing. I've checked NADA, Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book... taken together the range from a dealer is from $6500 to $8500+. Exterior condition here is excellent. So is visible interior. As close to "new" as I'd expect to find in a car of this vintage. I'm thinking of asking for a 50-50 split to rebuild/replace engine and/or turbo for 90 to 180 days (as much as I can get) after purchase if either self-destruct in that time. The seller is assuring me this is a pristine car... and if indeed it is, he should be willing to share the risk of an unexpected repair to engine and turbo. (I assume new engine are no longer available but rebuilt ones are. Ditto for the turbo.)