Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 2.3ltr 9-5 sedan

one thing after another..

Hi guys and gals,

I have looked through the forums and posts, but cant seem to find a definitive answer.

I have a 99 9-5 2.3lpt auto, 210,000km, all stock apart from cone air filter.
    The diverter valve, crank position sensor, thermostat, fuel filter and spark plugs have all been replaced. I have dropped the sump and cleaned it out (very dirty) and it has had many oil and filter changes (mobil 1 fully synthetic), vacuum lines have been replaced and 1 way valves seem to be ok, has also had a reconditioned turbo aswell.
    Active motors has gone over it and ok'd the pcv kit (although I have changes some hoses anyway) and they have corrected it for deviation on occasion, as it was running lean.

My issue now (which has been for some time) is that it is fluttering from 2500-3250rpm approx, aswell as 'pinging'. The fluttering will go away if I am to give it some more acceleration, however the pinging remains for a few seconds after. The rev counter will actually go up and down as it flutters.

The SID unit is telling me that my fuel consumption is anywhere from 11.4-12ish per 100km, it used to be closer to 10, I drive highway 75km a day to and from work, and according to my trip meter it does seem to using more fuel (I use the highest octane available)

I think the boost solenoid (riveted to the firewall) is a culprit in this issue. When I replaced my diverter valve, I removed the hose (new hose to)when it was still attached to the solenoid and was able to blow air down it with minimal resistance, which i dont think is good ...
    Could this be a source of the fluttering, which is in turn causing pinging??
    This is the only source of a possible vacuum leak that I can find..

Any feed back or assistance with this is greatly appreciated, as my love/hate relationship with my saab is leaning more towards the latter, unfortunatly it is one thing after another at the moment......

Thanks all

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    That's a difficult problem to troubleshoot. My 2001 2.3t had something similar but it was more of a surging engine when accelerating. I never figured out what caused that. You already replaced everything that I can think of and would start with myself.

What's the cost for the boost solenoid replacement? These ongoing little problems seem to be common on older 9-5s. It was one of the reasons I moved up to a 2004+.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    What kind of spark plugs did you put in it? Has your MAF been cleaned yet? Have you checked all you vacumm lines? Do you have your old diverter valve to switch it back in to see what happens?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 2.3ltr 9-5 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
    What kind of spark plugs did you put in it? Has your MAF been cleaned yet? Have you checked all you vacumm lines? Do you have your old diverter valve to switch it back in to see what happens?
    It has the recoommended NGK spark plugs in it that Aktive motors had installed, which I have removed and checked, needed a little clean which I done and checked gap which was good at 1.0-1.1mm.
    MAF has been cleaned twice to be sure and it is clean and well, all vacuum lines have been replaced, one way valves appear to be fine. Putting the old diverter valve back in will only bring back the old problem of the 'hooting' noise which would be pointless.
    -An engine check light come on, and I got the code P0133 which is bank 1 sensor 1 slow response. This is the O2 sensor on the down pipe. I removed and cleaned as it had a white build up on it, and re-installed. After test running the car again, the stuttering/fluttering had mostly disappeared, but it is still pinging (pinking) which is obviously not good.
    I will wait to see if the CE light comes on again. If it does, I will repace O2 sensor with a new one and see how that goes.
    Any ideas as to the pinging (pinking), as I have run out of ideas on this?
    Thanks again for the input guys

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 2.3ltr 9-5 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    That's a difficult problem to troubleshoot. My 2001 2.3t had something similar but it was more of a surging engine when accelerating. I never figured out what caused that. You already replaced everything that I can think of and would start with myself.

What's the cost for the boost solenoid replacement? These ongoing little problems seem to be common on older 9-5s. It was one of the reasons I moved up to a 2004+.
    Hi Wulf,

not to sure yet on the price for the solenoid yet, but will let you know if/when I find out.
    Ahh the pantom issues...****.....
    Over the weekend, it produced another problem for me to resolve - the rear shocks are telling me they need to be replaced. Seems I should have been a mechanic and not a salesman!
    Thanks again

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Nice to hear some good news.

What kind of gasoline do you use? If you always fill up at the same gas station, try a different company. Winter gasoline may the problem as well.

Perhaps try a stock air filter?