Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hear my Saab a comin' nuclear944's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Past: 1989 SPG & 1989 900 N/A Sedan
    Oh how I hope you are right!
    It's so weird. I haven't lost ANY coolant over the past 2-3 months. It has stayed in the exact same level. There no bubbles, nothing improper in the coolant reservoir. I gotta do a compression check ASAP!

Saab(s)
    Well I found a compression tester to use tomorrow.
    I am finally going to ask though. Can somebody explain to me in reasonable detail how much do these engines vibrate? Should you be able to see movement in the exhaust? The upper cooling hose?

It looks like the mounts on my car are completely shot. This is the cause of the vibration in the cabin.

Father's SPG vibrates less in the cabin (due to intact mounts), but visually more in the engine. It doesn't have any problems other than that.
    I will be looking at ECU's at the local junkyard once I perform a successful (knock on wood) compression test.

I just want to see what's going on and if there is a problem at all. I will not bother you anymore about this matter.
    I cleaned even more grounds on the sedan and am about to clean all of them on the SPG, but I want to know what kind of vibration should I expect with the hand on the engine.

Thanks, as always. Merry late Christmas! Hope you are getting plenty of snow and high spirits!

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    I had this issue with my opel kadett; it was the head gasket and one of the spark plugs got wet and only the engine was able to work with three
    cylinders.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear944 View Post
    Well I found a compression tester to use tomorrow.
    I am finally going to ask though. Can somebody explain to me in reasonable detail how much do these engines vibrate? Should you be able to see movement in the exhaust? The upper cooling hose?
    Some movement in the exhaust sometimes is fine. The upper cooling hose on mine is pretty stationary.

It looks like the mounts on my car are completely shot. This is the cause of the vibration in the cabin.
    Could also be the cause of the vibration of the engine itself. Bad Mounts will allow the engine to vibrate a bit too much.

Father's SPG vibrates less in the cabin (due to intact mounts), but visually more in the engine. It doesn't have any problems other than that.
    I will be looking at ECU's at the local junkyard once I perform a successful (knock on wood) compression test.

I just want to see what's going on and if there is a problem at all. I will not bother you anymore about this matter.
    I cleaned even more grounds on the sedan and am about to clean all of them on the SPG, but I want to know what kind of vibration should I expect with the hand on the engine.
    On my car, the vibration with my hand on the engine at idle is... I don't really know, to be honest. It's not huge, but it's not imperceptible or anything. It will make funny knockings and shake a lot if I close the throttle very fast and get it to almost-stall, but other than that, idle is pretty smooth. The block itself won't move hardly at all. It's more of a hum than a shake/rattle. I can hold a mirror on the block at idle, and the thing I see in the mirror won't be blurred. I can hold a screwdriver on the head at idle, and its handle will be vibrating but the tool won't jump out of my hand. The alternator will dance about at idle if bushings are bad, but the vibration isn't that awful.

Thanks, as always. Merry late Christmas! Hope you are getting plenty of snow and high spirits!
    And the same to you! I traded car for bike and skis yesterday and the day before, as Boston got dumped with 2 feet of snow. It was truly epic. Now the car's dug out, but the roof still wears a crown of white.

Let us know how the compression test goes!
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab(s)
    Compression test results:
    1; 158
    2; 158
    3; 152
    4; 155

These are approximate since the gauge was a really cheap one from Checker's auto parts.
    So it doesn't look great....What do you think?

The sparkplugs are all the same color...gray.

The mirror test showed absolutely no blurring and a moderately sized screwdriver doesn't move at all. I tested this at the intake and exhaust manifolds, valve cover, water pump etc. However at the exhaust pipe at the rear, there is definitely movement and the mirror shows some vibration but no blurring. The screwdriver does move when touched to the exhaust.

I have a NGK sparkplug in #1 and bosch for the other cylinders. Could the difference in resistance be causing a minor misfire? I feel stupid!
    The 8v engines were so much easier to work on!

Lucky you, euromobile! I haven't had snow at all here this december...it's tragic. However after a trip to a wilderness area at 11,000ft, a meter of snow accumulation exists! Drove the car there with bald tires and had absolutely no issues. The car's handling is just unbelievable!

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Compression test results:
    1; 158
    2; 158
    3; 152
    4; 155

These are approximate since the gauge was a really cheap one from Checker's auto parts.
    So it doesn't look great....What do you think?
    That's fiiine. There's almost no difference! The more different they are, the more likely you have a head gasket issue.

The sparkplugs are all the same color...gray.
    Again, no difference is good. Did you check the piston domes for shiny?

The mirror test showed absolutely no blurring and a moderately sized screwdriver doesn't move at all. I tested this at the intake and exhaust manifolds, valve cover, water pump etc. However at the exhaust pipe at the rear, there is definitely movement and the mirror shows some vibration but no blurring. The screwdriver does move when touched to the exhaust.
    Sounds fine. You may have a soft spot in your exhaust allowing it to vibrate more. I would wait until it falls off to repair it. Stuff it in the hatch and drive home. Driving with open headers is FUN if you don't get caught.

I have a NGK sparkplug in #1 and bosch for the other cylinders. Could the difference in resistance be causing a minor misfire? I feel stupid!
    The 8v engines were so much easier to work on!
    These engines are picky about plugs. I'd replace with four new NGK plugs (look in the owner's manual to make sure you're getting the right ones). NGKs seem to make all the difference. Bougicord wires are also recommended.

Lucky you, euromobile! I haven't had snow at all here this december...it's tragic. However after a trip to a wilderness area at 11,000ft, a meter of snow accumulation exists! Drove the car there with bald tires and had absolutely no issues. The car's handling is just unbelievable!
    lol. I have Hakkas, and it still seems hairy in Boston. No tires hook up on this greasy slush we've got here now. I've locked all four wheels and slid through a few intersections in my time. Latest incident was when a pickup pulled out right in front of me. Had to use the good ol' clutch+brake+horn combination.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab(s)
    OK then I am no longer worried. Thank you!

So it looks like the rich running at warmup is not going to be tackled until spring. Which is fine, as long as it doesn't get worse.
    I've developed a technique; no throttle application for the first minute and all accessories on.

So this will be the third spark plug purchase in the past 3 months.

My father is complaining about the SPG's handling on icy roads at 70mph....
    I don't seem to have the problem with my sedan although he won't let me drive it around until winter tires are installed.

You mentioned you were experienced in snow with the c900, so I'd love to hear your input.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    check the engine air filter maybe is wet.

Saab(s)
    It looks like the air filter is in healthy condition. Good thought though.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero

My father is complaining about the SPG's handling on icy roads at 70mph....
    Wild and crazy idea ... maybe he should shouldn't be doing 70mph on icy roads?