Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Afficianado
    Saab(s)
    2007 Aero 2.8t

Windshield washers fixed!

Just wanted to share an experience I had recently. After a cold snap, my right, center and right headlight washer stopped working. The left windshield washer worked, but poorly. I figured that the fluid had frozen in the lines, but after three days above 32 degrees, the problem persisted.

In checking it out, I found that the center washer nozzle on the hood has a freeze plug (for lack of a better term) on it that had popped out when the fluid froze. I pushed it back into place and my washers work fine again. I will, however, have to replace one of the push-in tabs that hold the hood insulation in place. Seems having the right tool to remove them is pretty important.

regards,

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 2.3T Aero
    I have a similar problem, happening now in extreme cold weather. my issue is ONLY the driver side headlight washer stopped working. I'm hoping its frozen since its - 20C outside.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Just replace them - it's a check valve that's part of the nozzle - they go bad often and DUMP washer fluid out under the hood. There are 2 that are the same 1 that is different. I replace them w/out removing or pulling the hood insulation back much. No need to pop out the plastic push clips - as they are NOT re-usable.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    For my wife's 2009 Saab 9-3 the right side windshield washer does not spray but dumps the water under the hood. The other two washers work just fine. I have ordered a replacement nozzle today for the right side. What are the steps for removing the old nozzle and inserting the new one? Thank you.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    Replaced the right side windshield washer on a 2009 Saab 9-3 SS today. Not so easy of a job. First exposed the right washer which requires removing 4 or 5 hood insulation rivets. All rivets broke and required 5 new rivets to replace them. I don't see an easy way to remove them without breaking. I had ordered 8 new rivets for the washer replacement. The entire hood takes 12 new rivets. I now have 3 rivet spares. The removal of the nonfunctioning right windshield washer broke in 2 places, the plastic clip holder and the plastic connector in the hose. The clip holder broke removing it from the hood and the connector broke removing it from the hose and had to be extracted from the hose. The new windshield washer inserts from inside the hood to the outside. It will not insert from the outside to the inside. Fortunately I figured this out before I broke the new washer. The new washer pops into place securely via the plastic clip. Once the new washer was secured, I connected the hose to the washer connector and successfully tested the system which worked without problems. I the popped in the 5 new insulation rivets without problem. They are easy to insert and secure. Job done.