Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t sportcombi aero

Cool tires questions!

Hello everybody!
    I have a question about tires on stock rims saab 9-5 sport combi with aero package (SPORT SUSPENSION).
    My stock tires 235/45/17 on anniversary rims and they kind of not comfortable on any small uneven surface or bump,and sometimes giving me harsh ride.
    I'm thinking to put 235/55/17,so ride would be a little more comfortable.
    if anyone familiar with sizes and specs please reply!
    thanks in advance!!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I wouldn't change from the standard specified tire size. While there may be a very small improvement in comfort, it will hardly be noticeable.

What tires do you currently have? I noticed a big difference between tire brands and types when it comes to comfort. Tires sometimes also get louder and less comfortable when they wear down so that may be the issue with your current tires as well. I had some pretty worn 17" Goodyear high performance 17" tires and changing to Yokahama's (more of a touring tire) made a big difference in noise and comfort.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Your problem is the sport suspension - sport means hard. If you didn't like a harsh ride, that was not the right suspension package to opt for. It's a give and take on the "now old" 9-5's. The current generation offers you selectable suspension and power options so you can have it when you want it. Sorry - nothing tires will change for the better. The 235/45/17 is the best size for the application IMHO. You could try a 225/45/17 - it was the older stock size. Less width, but same % of height. Less road surface to bang on....

I would tend to agree with WULF however on the BRAND of tires. There is MUCH to varry there which COULD make your ride a little more comfortable.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    Quote Originally Posted by jass80 View Post
    Hello everybody!
    I have a question about tires on stock rims saab 9-5 sport combi with aero package (SPORT SUSPENSION).
    My stock tires 235/45/17 on anniversary rims and they kind of not comfortable on any small uneven surface or bump,and sometimes giving me harsh ride.
    I'm thinking to put 235/55/17,so ride would be a little more comfortable.
    if anyone familiar with sizes and specs please reply!
    thanks in advance!!
    235/55r17 is out of specification, too much diameter
    the thread high is the percent of thread width per profile
    total tire diameter = (235x55%)x2+(17"x25.4)
    see tires equivalences:
    Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
    Tire Size Calculator

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    You could go down to 16 inch, that would give you more rubber between road and rim. But maybe you should look into changing to stock suspension instead? I've heard that progressive springs like Hirsch can improve the harshness, which seems to have become some kind of a Saab trademark...

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    I agree with Wulf.
    Look to change the tire ... it can be one of the most dramatic changes anyone can make to a car.

Look at Michelin.
    I have the Pilot Sport A/S+ on my 9-5 and the ride is incredible, compliant, quiet, very grippy, and not too harsh at all.
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 2.3t sportcombi aero
    Hello everybody first of all thanks for advices !
    I'm thinking to get set of new OEM struts and shocks, and probably newer and softer tires.
    Anyone can tell me what else need to be changed since sport susp becomes regular?
    May be springs need to be replaced as well? i hope not!
    And what is the best trustful source on internet to get from?
    thanks!

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    I'm thinking to get set of new OEM struts and shocks, and probably newer and softer tires.
    Anyone can tell me what else need to be changed since sport susp becomes regular?
    thanks!
    I regret to say a negative answer ....... may you ask to your dealer if these modifications can be done for a sporty suspension.
    sport chassis involves many parts (brakes, springs,.. modules ABS/TC/ECB/ESP....) and different software for the modules.

with the soft suspension you will feel dizzy in the mountain roads...
    Last edited by jlrSAAB; 07 January 2011 at 17:32.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    thanks!
    As jlrdrony said, the sport suspension has many parts, but the ones that will change it to the ride you want include: springs, shocks (those are the biggest two!), and I also believe that struts and anti-roll bar are part of the sport suspension. Those change the dynamics of the ride, but effect the corning of the car more than the ride over bumps and what-not. If I were you, I'd start tires, see where that gets you, then go to springs, see where than gets you, then shocks.... you get the idea. Though you probably get a price break if you order the springs and shocks together.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    I think if after changing tires (I agree with Shazam that it should be the first thing you do), you find that the car is still too harsh a ride for your taste, the easiest option would be to trade it in against another 9-5 without the sports suspension.
    The amount of money you would spend softening the suspension would not be worth it.
    You would also have a hard time selling the car when you are done with it ...

"Yes, I know it says "Aero" on the car, but I changed out the suspension to base. So you get some of the Aero bits, but not the parts to keep the car firmly planted to the road."
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca