Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5

HID D1S bulb replacement for 2006 9-5

Hi all,

brand new member, with questions, as usual

I found the Headlight replacement WIS around here (Thanks, Wulf!!!), but I have a more specific question: It seems that the bulbs are ever so slightly different for 2006 and on, is there anyone around here that has successfully changed their Xenon headlights with aftermarket bulbs?

Here is one link that discusses the issue.

Thanks a bunch!!

Karl
    Last edited by KarlGrabe; 14 January 2011 at 00:09.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    A Saab dealer replaced the bulbs on my previous 2006 and one of them wasn't fitted correctly. So it doesn't seem it is specific to a brand but they are a bit finicky to install correctly. I can't imagine there is any difference between the different brand D1S bulbs.

Mark Niskanen
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-3 ARC SS, 04 9-5 Aero Combi
    What do you mean that the 2006 are slightly different? The bulbs looks to be exactly the same? Do you mean the install is slightly different? I just put a set in my 2004 last weekend and it was fairly simple.

Great price/fast shipping here.
    06 2006 Saab 95 Headlight Bulb - Body Electrical - Heliolite, Sylvania - PartsGeek

Mark Niskanen
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-3 ARC SS, 04 9-5 Aero Combi
    oops. nevermind. they don't ship outside of the US.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5

Time to try it out and see what happens.

I guess I got thrown by the remarks in the other post:

When I talked to the mechanic he said the bulbs weren't quite right - there is some kind of notch needed on the metal base that wasn't there, so he tried to put it in.

May be nothing, and the partsgeek site provides the exact same parts number for 2005 and 2006, so it looks like they are the same.

I will give it a try and report back once done (could be a week or so until I receive them here in Canada).

Thanks,
    Karl

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi/2003 9-3 Arc
    Will be very curious to see how it goes.

Does anyone know if there is a how to yet for this proces for an 06+?

I am also thinking about doing it myself, but my garage refered me to my dealership to have it done. My garage stopped doing this process because they broke a part once. We tend to believe our shop seeing how they have worked on SAABs for many years.

I am looking at the 60,000 mile service which is a biggie (I will be doing the oil, air filter, and plugs myself, the rest at the shop), the lights, a trailer hitch, and probably more now that the warrenty is over.

Should I bother or just go to a dealer?

If I break something during the replacement process that would seem to defeat the purpose of doing it myself and trying to save money, also it pisses the wife off when I make things cost more.

Just trying to get a point of reference, and see who actually has done it. Does the front bumper have to come off? Etc...Etc...Etc..
    Sell Crazy Somewhere Else

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by LEGage View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a how to yet for this proces for an 06+?

Just trying to get a point of reference, and see who actually has done it. Does the front bumper have to come off? Etc...Etc...Etc..
    Here are the instructions from the WIS. For 2006+, it shows the headlamp needs to be removed which requires removing the front bumper.
    http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-xe...-673/#post2503
    http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-he...-672/#post2501

Removing the front bumper (it's really only a shell) is not that difficult and surprsingly, not many fasteners hold it in place. I removed it once when I had to replace the air filter box on my 2006. It just looks like major surgery.

Name:  saab_9-5_front_bumper.jpg
Views: 7372
Size:  94.0 KB

I replaced the Xenon bulbs on the 2005 9-5 without removing the headlamps so perhaps you can first try the same on your 2006.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi/2003 9-3 Arc
    Thank you Frank. If the lights hang in there until it gets warmer I may give it a try, otherwise the dealership it is.
    Sell Crazy Somewhere Else

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5
    Mine worked OK, ended up buying an Osram Sylvania D1S, car had Phillips. The bulb fit without any issues, the big deal was really to remove the front number cover, or more precisely how to figure out how the little clip works that holds the bottom of the bumper cover to the upper part at the wheel well. At the end it just un-clipped and everything came apart. Well worthwhile, especially if you are doing both lights.

Saab dealer quoted $341 per bulb, I purchased one for $183 at a Canadian online store (autopartsway.ca), could have bought the same bulb in the US for $85. Ridiculous, but hey, at least it worked out ok.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    IIRC, there is a D1S and a D1R ... the difference is the notch.
    One will not fit in place of the other.

Karl, if you are looking for local parts, check out Aktive Motors in Oakville.
    A Saab specialty shop of the highest calibre that I spent 3 years working at.
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca