Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

List of drivers' odd behavior

I'll start out with some that I am guilty of.

1. When I rinse or wash the car, I never wash the license plate. The only exception is that I have washed the front license plate to rid of insects after a long distance drive. In the city, it rarely attracts bugs. I am actually hoping it will have a thin layer of dirt so that it is less reflective! I haven't washed mine in over 5 years. The rear one is starting to be a bit less reflective than a new plate.

2. I adjust my center caps so that there is a wheel bolt directly over the Saab griffin's head. That is the "correct" orientation according to me! The griffin's head should also line up with a major word on the tire, like the brand name or model name (Michelin or Goodyear, for example. Or Blizzak WS60).

3. I use a wheel lock. The wheel lock must never be at the top of the center cap. It must be below, like close to the "B" in "SAAB". The tire valve must also be in the lower half of the center cap but that's a wide area and there's no exact spot it has to be.

4. I do not like water spots on the window. I have a squeegee that I use at the end of the day if there is water still on the windows, particularly the rear window.

I better stop before I convince everyone that I am insane.
    Last edited by Dave T; 18 January 2011 at 06:01.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    1. When I dig my car out from under a snowbank, I never remove the snow on the roof. I favor it blowing off. I also never remove the snow from the license plate. I figure the more obscure, the better.

2. I never completely put my car back together after a repair. I figure this is just asking for it to break again. The only times it's entirely assembled is when I am about to travel across the country, or when I am picking up parents or potential love interests.

3. The gearbox dipstick must be positioned so that "Gear Box Oil" is right side up when viewed from the right side of the car. The engine dipstick must be positioned so that "Engine Oil" is right side up when viewed from the left side of the car. I used to do them upside down, but I had a change of heart recently.
    Last edited by euromobile900; 18 January 2011 at 23:25.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Mark
    Saab(s)
    1983 900, 1996 900
    Some of those are weird, some seem more normal (pothole locale, etc.). Here are a few odd habits that I noticed I do and others have pointed out...

1. When shutting down the car after a drive every time, I turn everything off manually: headlights, foglights, radio, heated seats, heat/air, etc. I even flip the mirror back for daylight driving so it is ready the next morning.

2. I always use the parking brake (except below freezing, naturally) and pull it 7 clicks, in the same pattern- 1 2 3 4 5 pause 6 7.

3. I only signal 2 times when changing lanes. If weather and visibility are very treacherous, then I signal 4 times.

4. I pre-set the seat memory positions as follows: 1 = normal shoes, 2 = boots, 3 = barefoot.

5. When cracking the windows (2-door) I make sure the front edge of the glass lines up with the corner of the A pillar and door sill. Even on both sides, of course. On the '83 I just make sure all 4 windows are the same level.

6. When washing the car, I start with the roof, front and rear windows, then move around the car from the driver's front fender all the way around (counter clockwise from above) finishing with the front bumper. When waxing the car I do the roof and hood, then work from the front to back on both sides- front fenders, then drivers doors, then rear quarters, then trunk...
    Every time.

7. I replace bulbs in pairs.

8. 2 clicks of the shoes before getting in to the car, even when the weather is perfect and it's dry out. 2 sets of 2 in the winter.

And a word of advice if you drive with me- NO FEET ON THE DASH OR DOORS. You leave shoe marks, I tweek.

That's about all I do consistently. I don't feel so weird knowing that other people have their own little habits too.
    1996 900SE: scraping muddle mud flaps
    1983 900: second owner, fun car!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    1. Draw in the condensation on my windows, you will be warned, do it again, you will clean my windows (and do a good job at it too). Do it again, and you can find another ride.
    2. Only the girlfriend can put her feet on the dash... only if she has socks on that arn't gross. No shoes or bare feet, no matter who you are.
    3. When clearing snow from the car, I always leave it on the roof too. I only get the windows and if it's real deep, enough off the hood so it's not in the way. If it's night, I clear the headlamps too. I love watching the snow fly across the windshield, it's like hyperspace (I watch the road too, don't worry).
    4. I too also use the windshield wipers lower than most. If I've got the windshield well Rain-X'ed, I don't even use them.
    5. All passengers shall clap their feet together before getting in the car in bad weather. I do it regardless of weather.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    2. Only the girlfriend can put her feet on the dash... only if she has socks on that arn't gross. No shoes or bare feet, no matter who you are.
    You're too nice! My wife did this once and that didn't last long.. I suppose if you get into an accident, the airbag will smash your knees into your face? Doesn't seem like a pleasant experience.

I don't have too many quirks. A few are:

1. My car needs to be in the middle of a parking spot as straight as possible
    2. Wheels of the car and steering wheel need to be straight when parked
    3. I prefer to back in my car into a parking spot. Old habit left over from college. It takes a while to perfect this skill (see #1).

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    Regarding the snow thing, I was just recently informed by a local annoying know-it-all that it is illegal to keep snow on your car roof in NH, and punishable with a $250-$500 fine. MA, NJ, and PA have similar laws, but aren't looking to rake in quite as much of a windfall. So much for "live free or die". They may not have a seatbelt law in New Hampshire, but they sure are strict about the vehicles themselves. My native Minnesota doesn't seem to care how much of a death trap your vehicle is, so long as you insure it.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab(s)
    '72 97, '77 96, '79 96, '91 900i, '95 900SE
    ... it is illegal to keep snow on your car roof in NH, and punishable with a $250-$500 fine. MA, NJ, and PA have similar laws, ...They may not have a seatbelt law in New Hampshire...
    Same law here... and it makes sense: the law does not care what you do with your life as long as you do not endanger others.

Tempting... can you name this part?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 72sonett3; 10 May 2011 at 07:01.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    First picture almost looks like a connector of some sort. I can't see the second picture, unfortunately. I've never seen anything like that, in fact.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Pudding on Thrusday then wash the Saab.

Three minutes to Wapner.

Gott'a get my boxer shorts at K-Mart.

Qantas, Qantas never crashed.

This thread is making me feel normal. If the syrup is left out after the pancakes it's too late. My name is not Raymond.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    In the winter, I pull into my garage to keep the heat from the engine closer to the interior of the house. In the summer I back in and leave the garage door open for a few hours.

I always let my turbo "spool down" for 30 seconds before I shut the engine off.

Keep you fingers off my windows, inside and out.

Don't lean against my car, especially if it's dirty.

No feet on the dash or seat backs.

Don't eat in my car. Drinks are acceptable.*

No smoking, even though I'm a smoker. My wife and kids are not going to subjected to the stench of cigarettes. Plus my car still smells almost new.

The armrest in mine. No exceptions.

If your body weight is over 300lbs, you will not ride in my car.**

*I have a friend thats an alcoholic, he doesn't drive so he relies on me and a couple other people for rides. He is not capable of riding in a car for 20 minutes without a beer. The rule is, he can drink until he spills a beer.

**I have a friend that weighs in excess of 300lbs, he broke the seat in his Explorer.