Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Robert
    Saabologist in Training weav999's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 2.3T Arc SportCombi

Diagnostic Tools?

I just purchased and installed the WIS and EPC/EAC for Saab 1998-2008 on my laptop. The next bit of equipment I would like to source is a tool to communicate with the car, obtain diagnostics and read the error codes. Is there anything out there that will achieve this reliably that is not the Full Tech 2 ($4,000.00 USD).

The TIS2000 software is available out there but does that need the Tech 2 to be useful?

Perhaps software that I can load into my laptop and then hardware to connect the laptop to the car.
    I have seen the ODB/ODB2 scan tools, but I am pretty sure these will not work since the 2004 Saab is CANdi interface.

Do any of you perform your own diagnostics? If so ... any suggestions?

-Robert

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I bought this OBD2 reader from Amazon for about $80 last year. You can get them cheaper with less features but this one seemed like a good value and had good reviews. Works great on my 2005 9-5. I already used it twice for DIC and coolant temperature related codes/CEL.

Amazon.com: Equus 3100 Innova CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool: Automotive

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    diagnosis with tech2 is not so easy and accurate, that is requiring a lot of training time and experience to determine the root cause of the problem.

Robert
    Saabologist in Training weav999's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 2.3T Arc SportCombi
    Thanks for the Code reader suggestion Wulf, I feel more comfortable purchasing one that has been tested and used by known sources.

Now I want the Tech 2 even more! Thanks for sharing the video.

As I understand things (and I am still learning so please correct me if I am wrong or misguided), the real desire for the Tech 2 is to be able to read and output diagnostic information and automobile parameters, actually program the car and reset faults and errors, as well as diagnose problems.
    From the attached video, it is clear that you get everything from fuel pressure to spark to anything you may need to know without too much fuss. I do not think that for a technical minded person who pays attention to details, it would not take too much time to learn how to use this instrument.

The big drawback for the Tech 2 is that the avid Saab enthusiast cannot afford the $5000.00.
    It seems that you could load the correct TIS software (ranging in price from $100-$500 USD) onto a computer and then connect the computer to the car using a OBD2 CANdi to usb interface to accomplish the same kind of diagnoses.
    I guess you would have to have some kind of Graphical Interface installed on the laptop to visualize the data.
    Am I just dreaming?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Tech 2's can be had used for sub $3000 pricing used - with a Candi box - which is only needed for 2003+ 9-3 Sport Sedans and 2006+ 9-5's and all current cars.
    TIS2WEB can be purchased yearly for $1000 subscription (yearly...) which is great for an idy shop owner. You have access to everything this way. I am still on the look out for a Tech2 - but in MY price range. I will not pay over inflated prices for a used one when I can get a new one for $4800 shipped.

Remember you need the have a 16MB card for the older stuff and another 32mb card for the newer/current cars.

That aside - if you are just performing regular code reading and clearing all you need is the tool shown above. They do work great! I do not own that particular tool, but I have a few which do the job. I have a Kia Factory Scan tool which works on genaric mode rather well with the non-candi cars. I also have a OPCOM interface which hooks through my laptop and that too was good for the $28 purchase price. I have another device made by LAUNCH which acts as a black box for intermittent CEL's and that again - great for what it's made for.

I would not worry about a Tech 2 unless you are a shop making a business of it. Everyday scanners do well enough as long as you have WIS and EPC.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2006 9.3 Linear Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    I bought this OBD2 reader from Amazon for about $80 last year. You can get them cheaper with less features but this one seemed like a good value and had good reviews. Works great on my 2005 9-5. I already used it twice for DIC and coolant temperature related codes/CEL.

Amazon.com: Equus 3100 Innova CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool: Automotive
    Hi....would you be able to tell me if the OBD2 reader would work on my 2006 9.3 Linear Convertible?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by jlrSAAB View Post
    diagnosis with tech2 is not so easy and accurate, that is requiring a lot of training time and experience to determine the root cause of the problem.

To be fair any diagnostic tool requires training and/or experience to get the best from it. I have often seen components replaced because they were the source of the error message, changing them didn't fix the problem. The best bet is generally a code reader and WIS as this gives a troubleshooting sequence instead of just a fault message.

Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
    Hi....would you be able to tell me if the OBD2 reader would work on my 2006 9.3 Linear Convertible?
    Visit Autoguysland to review more OBD2 scanners model that you may concern
    OBD2 can work with your 2006 9.3 Linear Convertible. It works for all the common vehicles.