Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.

Aftermarket mufflers

Wanted to know if I could minimize (even slightly) the drone from the engine from a stop, by going w/an aftermarket muffler. Saw a Youtube vid where the owner (in comment section) said that the mufflers are the culprit on these cars, not so much the exhaust itself. Granted, it was a 2.8T, but........
    I like the 4 in. muffler tips on the dual factory setup on the 9-3s', and would like to get that to replace the stock oval tip on the 9-5. Any recommendations as far as manufactuers go? Magnaflow seems to be a popular brand, but I know there are so many out there. Do they all have their own unique sound, or are them some that sound similiar to one another? I can't imagine being an I-4 that the sound diff. would be that dramatic, especially keeping the resonator in place. Thanks!!

YouTube - 2007 SAAB 9-3 Aero (2.8T) start-up / exhaust note

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    To get the biggest change in tone, I think you'll have to swap the resonator as well. Personally, I think just swapping out the muffler would be a waste, especially because you can save a decent chunk of money when you buy the exhaust system as a whole. Also, most exhaust changes, are going to make your drone louder/sportier... thats what most people want. Here are some choices...
    GenuineSaab.com
    Elk parts is great, but shipping across the sea for exhaust can't be cheap...
    Saab Parts, Accessories & Saab Performance Tuning, Worldwide Shipping. Exhaust system -

Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-5 Aero auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    To get the biggest change in tone, I think you'll have to swap the resonator as well. Personally, I think just swapping out the muffler would be a waste, especially because you can save a decent chunk of money when you buy the exhaust system as a whole. Also, most exhaust changes, are going to make your drone louder/sportier... thats what most people want. Here are some choices...
    GenuineSaab.com
    Elk parts is great, but shipping across the sea for exhaust can't be cheap...
    Saab Parts, Accessories & Saab Performance Tuning, Worldwide Shipping. Exhaust system -
    Initially I thought about going w/the BSR/Simmons dual exhaust setup from GS. But I was wanting to do some cost saving by just switching out the muffler based on that Youtube link I posted. Not that it is significant, but I prefer the round tips off the 9-3 2.8 over the oval tip. The BSR come w/the ovals on their mufflers. I suppose I could lose those tips and weld on some 4-5 in. rounds. Now to go w/a single or dual setup, as neither has an advantage over the other in terms of performance/sound... just looks. Thanks for the info.