Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chris
    Saab(s)
    1980 900 Enduro & 1985 T16 Aero

C900T - new ceramic exhaust manifold

After putting up with a noisy exhaust for a few weeks, I decided to replace it with an 2nd-hand (can't but new any more obviously) un-cracked C900T exhaust manifold. It took a while, but I finally found one on good nick in Melbourne, AUS.

Under-bonnet temps used to be pretty high after a run (standard 17psi) - to the point where even though the bonnet is insulated the matt black paint on it cracked like crazy. A common problem on the Enduros. I decided to polish the burrs of the port exits and then ceramic-coat it prior to installation. Competition Coatings in Guildford (Sydney) did the job for me using Tech Line ceramic out of the States. They sand-blast the manifold inside and out and then clean it thoroughly before they spray on the coating. Baked in a oven at 700-odd degrees cures it. After it's cooled the next morning they then tumble-polish it to a polished surface.

This coating is good to 2,000 deg Fahrenheit and is not meant to discolour much at that temp. I could have gone with the black "Turbo-X" coating but will reserve that for the turbo housing and exit soon.

I thought that job would be a little tricky as rusty old exhaust systems can be a pain to get apart after a while. All came apart beautifully, with nuts literally spinning off after being cracked. Got to love the quality.

This was only a one knuckle-scrape job - rating easy. The lower turbo housing support bracket didn't want to come off as one of the bolts was rounded off. Without if coming off it was tricky to slide the manifold down on its studs - and even trickier to re-mount the replacement.

Anyway - all good in the end. Torqued up, I started her up and idled for 20 minutes to burn off the penetrating fluid left behind. A bit of smoke but not much. I loved the sound of the system again - nice and rumbly but no "pfft-pfft-pfft" sounds from the cracks. The temperature of the manifold itself was noticeably cooler - and I mean by a lot. I could hold my fingers about 1/2" away from the rear of the manifold while it was running and although it felt very warm, it was nowhere near as hot as before.

I took it for a decent run at reasonable boost, and on my return popped the bonnet to see if the coating had changed colour. Not a bit! The 100mm steel blanking plate I manufactured to cover the old waste-gate port (now unused as I have a newer turbo fitted with an internal w/g) was a dark blue - indicating that temps were up there inside the manifold. The temperature under the bonnet was, as expected, much cooler, as was the bonnet itself.

I'm happy with the result. Temps are lower and it looks great. I can't wait to do the rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Looks nice! Awesome car! How is the coating supposed to hold up to chips, like if you drop a wrench on it? What is the power output on an Enduro compared to a regular C900 turbo?

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I know how hard it is to find uncracked B-engine turbo manifolds. Even the 8v H-engine ones are getting hard to find at this point in the game. I'm impressed at your ability to come up with parts.

The Enduro makes a claimed 175hp. For reference, a non-intercooled T8 makes 143hp and a T16 with intercooler makes 175 stock without a catalyst.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Very nice! Looks like it's time for an intercooler upgrade? lol Engine bay looks nice.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Chris
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Mike, Sam and Jeff

Mike - the coating is incredibly tough - it's a real bond to the surface after it's baked and cured. I don't think that it will chip if you tapped it with a spanner. As Sam said, standard (off the showroom floor) power output was 175bhp, same as the European "S" Super Turbo model with water injection. I know that Mark Kostyrko down in Canberra (Aus) has extracted far more horsepower with larger turbo and wastegate path, extra injector located in the intake plenum and boost turned up to 27psi at top end.

Sam - yep, parts are becoming impossible to find, hey. I was on the verge of having a new manifold made up from 3.5mm steampipe when I found this one. If I ever find another I'll ceramic coat it too and keep it forever on my shelf.

Jeff - Intercooler on its way - ex Mark Kostyrko's car ("Steroid-poppin' Swede). I've removed my whole A/C system (right in the middle of a heat wave too) so I'll put the I/C where the A/C condenser was right up front of the car instead of behind the passenger (driver where you are) headlight. That should up the ante a little

Hear my Saab a comin' nuclear944's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Past: 1989 SPG & 1989 900 N/A Sedan
    Superb car! Great job on the exhaust.

I like how the fuel filter is located in the engine bay, compared to the 16v, in which it's buried in a chasm in front of the rear axle! Still haven't been able to replace it.

How does that supposedly inferior engine develop as much power as the t16? Just curious- I am sure it has advantages over the DOHC.

Chris
    Saab(s)
    Thank you sir

Yep, the fuel filter is located where it is, thankfully, rather easier to get to than on my T16. Funny that you mention it, because I replaced it today. Filthy. I'm not sure how fuel actually got through it.

Advantages over the T16? Well, it's hard to quantify, but qualifying them is easy. It's smoother rather than raucous, which my T16 is. The turbo comes on harder, and the old neck-snap is far more evident. It's more difficult to control in heavy traffic though. All up it's great to have one of each - they both have their own endearing qualities.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    You should try and see if SAAB would pay to transport this car to the US with you for the owners convention this year - would be neat to see one in person. Plus you would get maybe a round trip out of it? Worth shooting some e-mails or phone calls anyways. lol I just want to see one of these cars in person one day.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Chris
    Saab(s)
    Come to Oz!

I've entertained that thought for the past 8 or 9 years Jeff. It'd be neat to turn up at the convention with it, but I'll only do that after it's totally restored. It'd be a travesty to take it overseas in anything but perfect order. Hopefully next year... and then continue on to Sweden to visit Trollhattan and the museum.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    omaroo your car looks like an 8 valve with mechanical injection, is this correct? can you tell me a bit more about your car (and that camshaft cover)! I've got an 84 900 8v turbo, I'm interested in getting a bit more power out of it, nothing silly though! How are you running 17psi - it looks like you have upgraded ignition is this correct? Trionic 5? is that stock injection still? are you running water injection too?

My 900 isn't intercooled, It's making 7-10psi based on octane fuel used, I want to get it reliably up around 12-15 if possible, would water injection facilitate this, my understanding is that it reduces knock so I could run a lower octane fuel? if this is correct what is a good water injection system to go, do I need an intercooler as well as WI or is WI good enough?