Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Welp, I think this week is the week I get my permit. Now to find time to run down to the DMV during work...
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Manged to get my permit. The DMV had a mobile office set up about 10 min from work so I went during lunch. No lines, no nothing. 20 questions later (and 100% correct!) and ~$25 later I had my permit. Already signed up for a class this weekend that will allow me to get my full license-if I successfully complete it-without taking a DMV monitored road test.

Wooo!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I took the same weekend class a while ago. As long as you don't fall over, you'll pretty much pass. It's pretty much a joke really, considering you never ride on public roads in real traffic. But then again, i much preferred it over the difficult and expensive courses you have to take in Europe. Good luck!

john van der spuy
    Hi There - Friday 13th Sept.
    Yes indeed on motorcycles. Down here in Cape Town South Africa, I have 2 x Triumph Tigers, one a 1995 955i model,the other a 2012 800 xc model as we have so many scenic roads, gravel and tar to explore plus a decent outdoor climate. I also have a 2010 Honda CBF600 road bike and a 1982 Suzuki GS550E both for City use.
    They go well with my older SAAB a 2002 Aero cabrio while the two newer sedans, 2008 Linea 9-3 and 2009 TiD Vector 9-3 are for longer distance driving.

Hope you enjoy the environment where you are. Cheers, John van der spuy

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I passed! It was actually a pretty educational class. I learned a lot, and I learned how to ride a motorcycle. I'm still a bit amazed how bad one can be and still "pass" the class. Two riders in the class (out of five total) were horrible. One stalled on at least every other start and completely messed up the figure-8. Not as in she went over the line a bit, but as in feet were down several times, she completed one U-turn of the figure-8 and then somehow freaked out and ended up on the other side of the parking lot.

The other rider had an even worse figure-8: nearly dropping the bike, stalling twice, and hitting the cones in the emergency swerve (not by much, but still did). Also, on the emergency stop, she almost dropped the bike again.

I messed up the emergency swerve which you had to do after completing the figure-8. I forgot that I was in 2nd gear for the figure-8, so I accidentally shifted up two third coming out of the figure-8, thus bogging down the little 250 motor a bit and making me downshift back to 2nd. I almost didn't make it up to speed for the swerve (had to reach at least 15mph), but I did and manged to swerve successfully. Everything else was cake.

The written test (multiple choice) was a joke. There were only three choices total! One choice was almost always obviously wrong, and the other wrong choice varied from "Hmmm... I don't think so, but lets see what the other choices are" to "Nope, no way."

Even though I don't see a bike in my immediate future (within the next year or so), I can dream about a simple and light beginner bike... maybe pick up a used little dual purpose 250.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers