Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 SC Aero

Question HK subwoofer bad - repair instructions

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce my self to the community. I recently acquired 1 owner 2006 Saab 9-5 SC Aero with 94K miles. Car is in excellent condition, however driving it today I noticed that it's sub has gone bad. Car has Herman Kardon system.

I did a bit of research and looks like new replacement is north of $300, so I wonder if anyone has successfully took it apart and replaced just the speaker? If so what replacement speaker did they use?

sub specs:
    stock woofer is 6.5" 22w 2ohm 3.5" deep

SAAB 4711594
    harman kardon 6sa392

I found Infinity reference 6030cs set has 2 ohm woofers that I could use but not sure they can produce enough bass?
    Infinity Reference 6030cs 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fit in 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Perhaps it will be easier to replace with a used Saab subwoofer? It'll certainly be cheaper than buying a new one.

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5 SC Aero
    Just a quick follow up. I ordered this speaker repair kit 6 1/2" Speaker Repair Kit For Replacing Foam Surrounds - Advent, Bang & Olufsen, Boston Acoustics, JBL, Heathkit, Polydax, Paradigm

It arrived on Saturday so I started getting ready to tear into the car to remove the sub. Once I removed the speaker grill I realized that plastic under-grill and the hole in the enclosure is slightly larger than the speaker itself. 60 seconds later after cutting off the under-grill plastic I had full access to the speaker and taking it out was easy.

It took me about an hour to remove the old foam surround and glue the new one on. First to the speaker cone and then day later to the mounting bracket. Fix worked perfectly and HK system sounds as it should now with plenty of bass :-).

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Nothing better than fixing something yourself at minimal cost.

I changed the thread title so it will be easier for others to find and do the same. Thanks for sharing.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    FYI - ePartsLand - Welcome has these HK Subwoofers IN STOCK.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2
    I replaced mine with fosgate 6X9s on Amazon and they sound much better. But if you want you can just take out the speaker and use silicone caulking. That's what I did the 1st time and it worked great. I actually have 1 in great condition and the other is caulked but works just fine, let me know if you want them. you can email me @ josemateos at suddenlink dot net and I can mail them to you. I also replaced my head unit. The only problem is the HK speakers are 4 ohm so if you replace with after market you will have to fade to the rear a little to get the full power to the speakers. you can IM on here for me details as well or call 913 six three six 03seven5.

BTW I caulked my center speaker a yr ago and it's still sounding great!
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast