Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 SportCombi 6sp MTX

Soaked 2010 9-3 SportCombi from leaking roof

It's been raining all week around here. I came home tonight and found the interior glass of the 9-3 all fogged up again. This has been a reoccurring problem for me. I went to wipe down the windows when I saw actual drops of water by the right rear headrest. I saw this on the day I picked up the car. I looked around and then found the culprit. The headliner was soaked! The roof was somehow leaking.

I folded down the seat. The trunk liner was slightly damp. Not great, but I can live with that. Then I found dark spots around where the cargo cover attaches. It looks like mold! That's bad. Then I slid my hand under the rear seat cushion. It's soaked! I think the rain is somehow getting in through the seam in the roof where the roof rack would be.

I'll call the dealer tomorrow morning, but what should I have them do? Considering the mold, everything that got wet should be replaced. Then again, water condensed all around the car and especially the windshield. Who knows how much pooled in cracks and crevices for mold to grow in? The car is less than two months old. It would be terrible to rip out the interior. In my experience, nothing ever fits together the same after the first time. The creaks and rattles will drive me nuts. I do like the car though. If refunded the purchase price of the car, I'd never be able to get the same deal an another. I've never had something like this happen before. Any advice is appreciated.

Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 XWD
    Sorry to hear of your problem. I had a 2004 VW Passat that was leaking from the sunroof. I had the car in the dealership two times for the problem. Here in my area, three times in for the same problem and STILL NOT fixed, you qualify for the lemon law. That spring I took a ride down to the Florida Keys and drove into a BMW dealer just to check out the new BMW X3's. The dealer had just gotten a car with the cold weather package that they were looking to trade to another dealer further up north. I did them the "favor" traded in my leaky VW and drove back to NY in a brand new X3. (The truck was and still is a favorite of mine) Last summer I got one of those class action notices in the mail concerning that leaky car. Lucky for me, I no longer owned the car but it MIGHT have been fixed the last time I took her in.
    So it looks like you might have to give them a chance to fix your SC. Hopefully in your area you have the same type of protection we have up here. Good luck, keep us posted.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." ----John Lennon

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Basically, you can't settle for anything less than the way you car was (without the leaky roof) the day you bought it. So, if they decide to replace the interior, fine, so long as it's not creaky, rattly, and everything fits like it did the day you bought it. If they decide to give you another car (which I doubt), then great, as long as it's no extra cost for the same car. I'm guessing you are going to have to fight them tooth and nail, and good luck with it!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is something in the WIS about this problem on the 9-3 SC and it has to do with incorrectly installed door seals.

More info: saab 9-3 - water leaks in through rear door.pdf

Sorry to hear about these problems with your brand new Saab.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3 SportCombi 6sp MTX
    Interesting link, Wulf. Considering the wet headliner, I don't think the door seal is the case. Also, I think the car was leaking the day I got it. I saw liquid by the rear seat headrest and just didn't think much of it. The dealer just picked up the car. They seem to be pretty receptive so far, but the true test will be once they've done their diagnosis. I'm hoping for the best here. Saab would really earn my respect if they did the right thing for both myself and the dealer.