Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by nutcase View Post
    I think it was injected pre-turbo to allow for a low pressure (cheaper) pump. The downside is it erodes the turbine blades.
    I agree with Nutcase and other members. Injecting pre-turbo does erode turbo blades. In the very early '80s I fitted pre-turbo WI to one of my 900 turbos, very similar to the Saab system. On a maintenance strip-down some 5k miles later the intake turbine was found to be eroded. With new intake turbine and some 3k later, evidence of it returning were found. Switched system to post-turbo injection and problem eliminated. No evidence of erosion 50k later. QED.

No reason for it these days. Plenty of suitable high-pressure pumps are available.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    Peva I know you've talked about your WI a lot before, do you get more boost with it, or just the same with lower octane fuels?

I seem to recall you saying yours is just on/off system that switches on at 10psi? made by aquamist? what specific aquamist system did you say you have?

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
    Peva I know you've talked about your WI a lot before, do you get more boost with it, or just the same with lower octane fuels?

I seem to recall you saying yours is just on/off system that switches on at 10psi? made by aquamist? what specific aquamist system did you say you have?
    On my 3dr Ruby I have the very basic Aquamist system and after looking it appears not to be currently available. However on my vert I have a CoolingMist Water Injection, Methanol Injection, Alcohol Injection Systems: Coolingmist system which operates in a very similar way, switching at an adjustable 10psi. It seems to give very similar results to the Aquamist. It allows the use of lower octane fuels and elevated boost levels without detonation. I run about 1.25 BAR boost with no problem on both cars. On both cars I use the screen washer reservoir as the water for the WI. This lasts at least a week before needing a refill.

Paul

PS It's also worth checking on eBay from time to time. There are a few, and sometimes at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by peva; 22 April 2012 at 11:14.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    18psi? Wow! do you have many other mods, or are your cars mostly stock?

That's an incredible gain if from WI?!

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s900t8v View Post
    18psi? Wow! do you have many other mods, or are your cars mostly stock?

That's an incredible gain if from WI?!
    The cars are largely stock, Although both have a 3BAR FPR, and 3" DP. The Ruby has a ported head and the vert has an Abbot chargecooler. Nothing too extreme. I'm running Mitsu turbos and I like my power low down.

Edward G
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    T5.5 84 900T8
    so how much more boost were you able to add with the WI? I'm trying to gauge it in a $ for HP kind of way.

I don't have much money and want effective mods to boost output, 8 valves are pretty slow compared to 16vs