Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T

1st post - T-5 conversion question

Collecting parts for a T-5 conversion on my 85T

What is the best and most current way to talk to the ECU? BDM, Can USB other?

Thinking of getting one of those little Net books and dedicate it to the project and it will only have a USB port and most likely vista or windows 7

Jeff

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Hi and Welcome!
    I've not delved into T5 quite so much as many others, but I can tell you that the best place to look for current advice on such things is over on the ECUProject forums. A quick search there should be just what you need to start pointing in the right direction.

Keep us posted on how the T5 conversion goes!!
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Hi,

I have been scanning ECU project and Trionic tuning as well. The wire harness in my 85 is bad so I figured rather than re-wire it I would update it.

Ian Robinson
    Saab(s)
    1989 c900 T16S T5
    Quote Originally Posted by jskrebs View Post
    Collecting parts for a T-5 conversion on my 85T

What is the best and most current way to talk to the ECU? BDM, Can USB other?

Thinking of getting one of those little Net books and dedicate it to the project and it will only have a USB port and most likely vista or windows 7

Jeff
    BDM is cheap, and with it you can dump/flash the ECU memory, making permanent changes, and uploading full maps. And you need BDM to unlock the RAM. But it's quite hard to set up, you need a seperate power source, and it probably won't work on your netbook unless you get the USB-BDM off one of the guys on ECU project. And, you can't do live tuning or logging.
    The Lawicel CanUSB is expensive, and makes changes to the RAM only, so those changes will be wiped if you disconnect the battery. You can, however, upload permanent changes to the ECU memory, but you need an external (15v) power source. The great thing about CanUSB is that you can do live tuning and logging - it's brilliant! BUT - I think you can only unlock the RAM with BDM - maybe someone can confirm/deny that?

As a starter, I'd get BDM so you can set up the map of your choice, make sure RAM is unlocked and VSS switched off, and get your car running. Then get CanUSB if you feel you need it.

I'm not a computer-techy guy by any means, the above is just my experience of using the two.

Griffin Davies
    Saab(s)
    88 SPG
    please pardon my ignorance but , What is BDM ?

Ian Robinson
    Saab(s)
    1989 c900 T16S T5
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif900 View Post
    please pardon my ignorance but , What is BDM ?
    As I say, I'm no computer techy, so this stuff is way above my pay grade, but it stands for 'Background Debugging Mode', and it's a method of interfacing the processor on the ECU with your computer (via the relevant bits of software). There are 2 versions I know of, one which plugs into the serial port of your computer (if it has one), and one which uses a USB port.

So I've read - I don't know what any of that really means, but I have used it, and it does work!

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Just got my 1st ECU today. Gotta get my torx drives so I can look inside
    Collecting power supplies and will hit a pick and pull to get a mating connector in a week or so. I also have a wire harness and most of the sensors, injectors, fuel rail, BPC, MAP, etc. Will still need DIC, and will need to either get my flywheel machined or make a trigger wheel and fasten it to the back of the flywheel. Going to do a test with the VR sensor to see how thick the trigger wheel will need to be to make a good signal. JohnC on the Trionic Tuning forum is developing a combined Can USB and BDM adaptor, but it is not all sorted out yet. Hoping to get one as soon as I get all my parts together.
    Last edited by jskrebs; 11 March 2011 at 00:21. Reason: bad spelling

Ian Robinson
    Saab(s)
    1989 c900 T16S T5
    JohnC on the Trionic Tuning forum is developing a combined Can USB and BDM adaptor, but it is not all sorted out yet. Hoping to get one as soon as I get all my parts together.
    Is this the Just4Trionic project? Sounds like an ideal solution, can't wait.

Good luck with all things T5, keep us posted.

Here's a link to my T5 install thread on UK Saabs:

UKSaabs • View topic - Fitting T5 to my C900

May be of some use to you?

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Is this the Just4Trionic project? Sounds like an ideal solution, can't wait.
    Possibly, I found it on Trionic Tuning trionictuning.com • Login

Here's a link to my T5 install thread on UK Saabs:

UKSaabs • View topic - Fitting T5 to my C900

May be of some use to you?
    Very Cool. Do you figure the drilled method would work? Seems to be a least cost method
    How did you orient the pattern to the TDC on the flywheel. Have a sketch? Also placement of VR sensor on the backplate.

My project will take a while. The entire front of the car is apart at he moment. Welding up some rested areas currently, then start cleaning painting and rebuilding all the suspension and other parts. Motor is out with cracked rings, but other than that in very good condition. Getting a hone and new rings currently.

Dreaming of getting it to Carlisle, but that may be optimistic. I have an 87 C900 base I can take or a 93CSE

Jeff

Ian Robinson
    Saab(s)
    1989 c900 T16S T5
    Possibly, I found it on Trionic Tuning trionictuning.com • Login

Very Cool. Do you figure the drilled method would work? Seems to be a least cost method

Yes - definitely works. I made some mistakes, I rushed it and got some of the holes not equidistant, I have a spare flywheel, I plan to re-do it at some point. But it definitely ran, and ran well.

How did you orient the pattern to the TDC on the flywheel. Have a sketch? Also placement of VR sensor on the backplate.
    If you read that Saablink thread I linked to on my install thread, you'll see how to orient the 'minus 2' bit. Simply, I marked 60 equidistant locations around the flywheel. I measured the radius of where I was planning to drill the holes. Then, I marked that measurement on the backplate, and drilled a hole for the CPS. Doesn't really matter where that hole is, as long as the radius is right.Next, bolt the flywheel back up. Back mark the flywheel through the drilled hole when the flywheel is at TDC. That's your reference point.
    Once you have that point, you count back the required number of holes (can't remember if it's holes or 'not holes' you're counting if you see what I mean), and that's where you have the beginning of the '-2' double hole.

My project will take a while. The entire front of the car is apart at he moment. Welding up some rested areas currently, then start cleaning painting and rebuilding all the suspension and other parts. Motor is out with cracked rings, but other than that in very good condition. Getting a hone and new rings currently.

Dreaming of getting it to Carlisle, but that may be optimistic. I have an 87 C900 base I can take or a 93CSE

Jeff
    Big job, have fun.