Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Wrestrepo

Good Experience with TireVan in DC metro area

I finally decided (my wife did actually) to get a new set of rubber for our "chrome" rims for the Acura. Let me elaborate. When we got the car it came with summer rubber on the 19's. Living in New England I bought an extra OEM set but instead of winter I decided to put All Seasons. It was a great decision because the summer rubber only had one more "season" under it's belt, and when it was time to put those back on I got laid off.
    Anyhow, things are better now, and we were able to afford the 1K in rubber for the car.
    I had seen this commercial for TireVan and figure that it would be too expensive because they come to you, but actually it was awesome. The rubber was priced the same as Tirerack (after you add shipping), and there was a $20 gas surcharge that was definitely worth paying for not having to make an appointment and wait at a shop.
    The guy came to my house (a bit late I may add) but did the job in less than 1hr. I was able to see the entire process (unlike places that don't allow you to be in the shop) from my window, while sipping FRESH coffee and playing with my daughter.

I decided to go with the Continental DWS (same I have in the Saab) because I am in love with those tires. I have never had a better all season.

OEM 18"

Optional 19" wheels

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    How does the tire van work? Ship the tires to your place, they come with the truck, mount the tires on the wheels, and put them on? What do they use for jacks and where do they jack it up? Seems like their insurance must be through the roof, but I've often dreamed of buying an old flat bed, converting it to hold cars with a hole in the bottom so I could work on them, and then presto! Portable car shop!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    How does the tire van work? Ship the tires to your place, they come with the truck, mount the tires on the wheels, and put them on? What do they use for jacks and where do they jack it up? Seems like their insurance must be through the roof, but I've often dreamed of buying an old flat bed, converting it to hold cars with a hole in the bottom so I could work on them, and then presto! Portable car shop!
    As far as I know it's regional to the DC metro area, but that's not to say that there aren't similar businesses elsewhere.
    They have a regular website, you go, pick the tires, buy them and they will give you a calendar with open days for installation. You pick the time frame that works best in the day that's open and voila!. I ordered the tires on Sunday, picked today as the first open date, later on they sent me a message with a set time (he was late though) and the truck shows up. They have a tire mounting and balancing device inside, also an air compressor. The guy just jacked up the car and did the installation where you see in the pictures.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I like your idea. It is one of those ideas I wish I had had, and will probably claim to have had when someone makes a business out of it But what about the driveshaft/axles of the flatbed getting in your way?
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    My flatbed would have a car lift on it.

But after thinking about it, this would work great as long as all the wheels roll.

Lower levels could have cabinets built it to hold tools, and a awning that could pop up to keep rain out. A winch to get dead cars up there, everything would be adjustable. I've thought about it a lot, but my car skills are lacking to make it work. Especially with today's cars. But I figured my market would be those guys with the old car they don't want out of their sight... this way they wouldn't have to!

Winter I'd be in Florida.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig