Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cody
    Transportational Assault PRD2BDF's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Arc

Thoughts on rally lights

I like talking about stuff like these. What is your opinion of putting rally lights on a street-driven car?

Is it ricey?
    Is it stupid?
    Is it awesome but stupid?
    Is it flat-out awesome?

I've done several cardboard cutouts...

The last one is my personal favorite!

Discuss

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    First or last - #2 justl ooks bad....

It all comes down to the lights you choose to buy and how you mount them. If done nicely it will look great and not "ricey" - if done poorly, well - you can guess.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    I think it could look great and you already have the right size light in mind. There is an Evo around here that is running some lights that are about 10 inches in diameter. Im sure they work great, but they are just too big to look good on that front end.

The only thing I don't like about them on a car is when they stick out really far forward. If you could somehow integrate them into the bumper on the first picture.....

Cody
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Arc
    I agree. I think when it sticks too far out, it just ruins the lines and the purpose. Kinda like Madonna's thingy back in the 1980s...

I think if I use low-profile lights, I might be able to mount them closely. Maybe after I get the car fixed once again (body damage for those not in the know)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I just don't see the purpose of them. I haven't been disappointed with the light output of any of my Saabs. I really like the understated and clean neutral look of the <=2006 9-3 and your Aero front spoiler and blacked out chrome looks great.

Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    I think small rectangular lights would look much better. Round lights would not go with the flow of the car at all.

Neil Richardson
    Saab(s)
    '88 c900T, '88 c900 SPG, '94 9000 Aero
    I like the third option myself.. but then again I'm a bit biased when it comes to lights.

Also, do you plan on doing driving lights (HELLA 500/500FF) or fogs? If you go for fogs mount them below the bumper, but be prepared to lose a lens or five. I opted for driving lights because the output on both of my c900's is dismal at best and the mounting above the bumper provides a great beam and they don't break them if someone looks at them funny.

Cody
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Arc
    I commute 100 miles a day and it's through hardcore deer country and I thought it would be nice to have strong foglights or driving lights that can really shine up the road ahead. The foglights on the car is a joke. I've thought about upgrading the high beams to HIR lights too. I've heard these bulbs are much stronger (brighter)

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

lighting

Of course there are some plus and minus to everything. Let me get my negative statement out of the way and if someone can steer me right I will stand corrected since my information is old.

Fogs don't work and never really have. I remember tests by Car $ Driver and R&T tring to find fogs that actually worked in fog and the best they did was a foot here and there. I have never seen any objective test that said one really was worth the money? I hope one of you can point me in the right direction with this.

Driving lights are nice and where I live they are more for spotting deer that are a major problem. Actually the lamps on the 08 Aero I guess are the HID and those are indeed the best stock lamps I have ever had but still (and part of it is), getting older I have been thinking about driving lamps and kind of decided on the Hella Black Magic in the smaller of the series.

Mounting is a problem. I would not want to put them by any intake and block air. The 6 cylinder is air deprived enough already. There is one bracket on the market that mounts to the license plate points and has potential; it's called the Carr Light Wing and though it looks like more of and SUV product is may be practical since it looks like it moves the lights apart but not in the way of an intake.
    Last edited by tunnanxwd; 13 March 2011 at 14:04.

Richard
    Saab(s)
    1990 900, 1991 900, 1998 900
    I would go with the third option, assuming driving lights and not fogs. I have Hella 500FF's, myself.