Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)

American alternatives to AirFlow

My front bumper is, I believe, unrepairable. There is so little of the underside left I can't begin to consider repairing it

I would love to get an AirFlow set but that doesn't seem very likely (read: not a chance). I see this "VIP Kit" on random interweb sites that seems like it might look okay but I can't tell? Every picture I've come across is grainy and low-res and really hard to make out the exact dimensions of the kit

So does anyone actually have this? Is it a viable alternative to the AirFlow or does it look gaudy? I can't tell? Pics anyone?

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    The Duraflex kit is, I believe, what you are thinking of. I believe you can buy the pieces individually.

I saw a picture of the front bumper someplace--will try to find it.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Zack
    Saab(s)
    Yeah that one. I think just the front bumper would look, well not bad

I still have the center six and rear bumper skirts from the SPG. I'd like to see what a 900 looks like w the SPG center/rear and the Duraflex front. Maybe if I get a couple shots I can do a quick chop

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    Surprisingly, the usually-no-good Saabsite came up with some photos!

Here they are. This car has center-six from a SPG and front/rear bumpers by Duraflex. I agree, the front bumper is the most tasteful of the bunch. It's nearly a clone of the original airflow. I'm not sure whether Duraflex also makes wheel arches, but I'll look into it, as they don't look bad.
    Front:

And back:
    Name:  Airflow1.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  40.7 KB

http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/air-flow.htm is the full link.

IMO, the Duraflex kit center-six are hideous. Here's a picture of a 900 with those:
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Zack
    Saab(s)
    That may be alright, just using the front bumper

But I'm going to have to get the fender extensions because I imagine it will probably look like poo with my original tiny strips

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    Looks as though the wheel arch trims are only available from Aftermarket in stainless. PartsForSaabs sells them, but unfortunately I can't find them from a US-based company. You might try Ebay. From what I've heard, these screw on, so you'll have to drill-and-seal. The original plastic (fiberglass?) trim is expensive, hard to find, and fragile.

If I were you, I might try fabricating a mold and forming the trim out of fiberglass mat.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1979 c900, 1991 c900, 1999 9-3
    There was supposedly a swedish company that produced alternatives to airflow (including a 4 door version). Never caught on here...

Zack
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by euromobile900 View Post
    Looks as though the wheel arch trims are only available from Aftermarket in stainless. PartsForSaabs sells them, but unfortunately I can't find them from a US-based company. You might try Ebay. From what I've heard, these screw on, so you'll have to drill-and-seal. The original plastic (fiberglass?) trim is expensive, hard to find, and fragile.

If I were you, I might try fabricating a mold and forming the trim out of fiberglass mat.
    I was honestly thinking the same thing (fabricating)

Zack
    Saab(s)
    After installing the SPG front/rear bumper extensions, it has come to my attention that the front bumper is indeed repairable! This is the best news

However the car now looks awkward as all get out with no center panels installed (I'll post pics tonight in my garage)