Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9.5 sedan

2001 Saab 9-5 - OEM Denso or Behr A/C Compressor ?

Hi Everyone,

I have to change my A/C Compressor. My original one is DENSO. Which one do you recommend - BEHR ( made in Germany) or DENCO (made in Japan). Does anyone know , when I start the car the A/C starts working also ? Is this normal for SAAB 9.5 ? Maybe this is the cause it's went wrong and leeking . I feel it is not normal because it should not working at any time. By the way , the car consumed 3 batteries already in 5 years. Is the A/C issue causes shorter battery life ? The alternator is actually working well.

Thanks,
    Laszlo

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Denso, I believe, is Japanese, however MB uses them as well. They are good but expensive. Saabs came with a unit that was neither of the one you are thinking about. It is Swedish, but I cant recall the name. I have a new one in the basement I got off the classifieds just waiting for a failure. Unfortunately I cant go to the basement as I am at another location from where my01 is garaged.
    Back to your post. Are you saying that even if it is switched off the AC compressor turns on with the car. If so does it go on with just the key or only when you start the car? It would seem to me that if your comprssor is working you do not need a new one. Clear up your post a little and lets clarify if you just are dealing with an electrical glitch.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9.5 sedan
    Hi Mike,
    I know those are look same, but I saw somewhere on the net the original Saab A/C filter ( made by Valeo ) made from antistatic material for safety. But possible that is not true and those are made from the regular plastic, like the aftermarket ones.
    I got the information about how the A/C works on the Saabs. Automatically starting the A/C if I starting the engine. So I have to turn up or turn off the A/C. Do not use the A/C every time. Because if I live the temperature on 68, the A/C automatically starting the A/C and that is not good for the A/C parts. Maybe that is why my A/C leaking at 73.000 miles.
    Laszlo

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Ok, I think I know what you are asking. AC will always come on when outside air is above a temp set by the car maker. A dealer can change that if you like. If you read your owners manual you will see there is a page showing you how to over ride the factory settings on your AC. I don't know if leaving the AC off unless you turn it on is an option. I know English is your 2nd language so if you are not able to read the manual get some help to do that.
    The reason the AC comes on automatically is that it works on the whole system to regulate everything together. At lower temps it does not go on too much and is not the cause for your leak if you have one. In fact it is best your AC is used occasionally to keep the seals lubricated.
    I just re read your 2 posts and now I am not sure what you are asking. The AC filter you speak of is a cabin filter some with charcoal some with out. It makes no differance. I don't think static is an issue.
    As for you batteries I don't hink this is something you can fix. Battery failure repeat is often caused by over charging. You can buy a cheap socket (under 10.00) volt meter and stick it in your cigarette ligher and get a general reading as you drive. If it reads higher that 14.4 you are getting too much charge and you need to deal with your alternatior and its internal voltage regulator is bad. Bit that is just one area to look. A small drain will not kill a battery unless you are letting it discharge totally too often.
    Looks like your headed to a shop.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    You can re-set what the ACC system starts with ... there are a 2 buttons that need to be push simultaniously (I just can't recall which ones).
    This will allow you to set the ACC how you want it to come on when you start the car.
    Having said that, I have found that leaving Saab to manage this works quite well ... I very rarely make changes to the ACC controls any more.

As for the A/C compressor question ... I would go with whatever is cheaper.
    They are both quality parts.
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    You can re-set what the ACC system starts with ... there are a 2 buttons that need to be push simultaniously (I just can't recall which ones).
    This will allow you to set the ACC how you want it to come on when you start the car.
    Added to the Saab 9-5 FAQs: ACC user programming

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9.5 sedan
    Hi Mike,

2001 Saab 9.5 2.3t
    Looks like nobody can give me a right answer, so let’s just forget the static problem. I will buy the original ,, Valeo ,, from Pelican parts for $30. Because it has a foam frame too, and this is maybe quieter. So on the aftermarket cabin filters, like Mann, Nordic, they are do not have foam frame around with the plastic frame. Without that maybe those are little bit nosier from the vibration. But I have never used them yet !!! I was not think only the charcoal fabric. I thought maybe the plastic frame is made from antistatic plastic. Like in my company. We are every day receiving pc boards from other companies what are packed in the pink bubble bags, which are made from antistatic polyester. Not like the white bubble bags, which are made from regular polyester. Which can cause electric spark and shock on the pc board.

A/C Compressor
    My 2001 Toyota Camry has same Denso A/C with 155.000 miles on it. And no problem so far, maybe because my Camry has the regular, manual A/C system and switch inside the car. So what I understood the Saabs have more difficult A/C system. Maybe my Saab has been programmed wrong and that is why my Saab gone earlier apx. 55.000 miles. If I have time, I will read my manual book and study the system.

Thank you,
    Laszlo