Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Site hosting

The site currently runs on a shared hosting plan with 1and1. This basically means one server can host 10s or 100s of websites. There are currently 63 other websites hosted on the same server as saabworld.net. If one websites hogs or crashes the server, other websites are directly affected. And these hosts say you have unlimited bandwidth but I am sure they throttle traffic for each site.

When the site keeps growing like this, we'll need our own server. Not just for bandwidth and speed but also for root control, features, automated offsite backups, security and so on.

I am familiar with the difference between a dedicated, virtual and dynamic cloud server but what do we need for a site like this? Processors and amount of RAM?
    1&1 Hosting

A DoDeca-core (2x12 processor cores) server with 48GB of RAM and 4,000GB Raid5 sounds nice but that may be a bit too much power. And $999.99 a month is little bit more than the budget allows.

I have never had a problem with 1and1 and tech support has been good. They are one of the largest hosting companies but there are many others. Anyone have any recommendations? Other suggestions?

Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)
    We don't need that many cores - at least not yet

8 cores, 16GB RAM and 2TB would be pushing it, but would allow for a lot of growth. From what I see on 1and1's site, I'd say Hexa-Core (L or XL) would fit the bill for a good while. Personally, I'm always for hosting on a physical server

Disclaimer: I am a Systems VLSI R&D technician at Hewlett-Packard Corporation

doesn't care about 'rank' TooMany2cvs's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '90 c900 T16 - SOLD & GONE
    To be honest, if you're taking a step up from shared, I'd probably skip virtual. If 1&1's US plans are anything like their UK ones (which I use), then the real killer's likely to be disk space on a VPS, and quickly, especially if users are hosting attached images here. The entry-level VPS is also really quite desperately short on resources. I started hosting a club website & forum on that, quickly had to tickle the settings to stop it dying regularly, had to go up a notch - it sat there happily, until disk space became an issue, then up to an entry-level dedicated (virtually no cost difference, but it's a grade they only seem to stock rarely).
    Adrian
    Soon to be living life on the road in an old VW
    http://WhereverTheRoadGoes.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
    8 cores, 16GB RAM and 2TB would be pushing it, but would allow for a lot of growth. From what I see on 1and1's site, I'd say Hexa-Core (L or XL) would fit the bill for a good while.
    $300 a month is still a bit outside my comfort zone right now. I was more thinking of going with the entry-level virtual server for $30 or spend the big bucks and upgrade to the next level of dynamic cloud server for $50.

The nice thing about the DC server is you can make configuration changes on the fly when needed.

The database is only about 60MB right now but the images and file attachments are growing more quickly.

Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    Oh my god I cannot believe you host with 1&1... I've had a few clients with them and there have been huge security and performance problems, bugs in the control panel.. etc etc... Horrendous experience.

Wulf, a VPS wont necessarily increase any of your processing power or traffic handling capabilities. It will simply give you more control over the server.. Which In my experience, no one needs unless they are running complex web applications that need terminal control.
    A lot of companies flash around these cheap VPS and cloud solutions which usually have worse performance than shared hosting... VPS stands for "virtual private server".. Its the same as shared hosting. You could be a VPS sharing a server with 1,000 other people also running VPS's... The dynamic "cloud" or modular VPS's that let you grow over time by purchasing processing units / etc.. are usually the same shared servers with more throttle control technology than the old fashion ones.. They are still easily over-sold.. they are still run the same as shared hosting.

Shared hosting should go straight to dedicated server if you ever reach that point. A VPS offers no performance advantage over shared hosting. If you are getting poor performance, its because your host is overselling their resources. I have personally used several different hosts (godaddy, VPS.net, 1&1, just host, blue host, yahoo hosting, ipage, fat cow... those are the ones i can name off the top of my head).. (My job allows me contact with our clients hosting accounts for installing software and maintaining their sites)... , and host gator has blew them all away with their customer service, Amazing control panel, never a performance issue. And when you outgrow shared hosting they have dedicated server packages starting at $139 / month which they can easily migrate you to.

I think one of the reasons their shared hosting has been so good is that it costs 2x more than many other hosts I have tried. My package costs $12.00 a month (I have the business plan), but a lot of companies offer the same features for as little as $5.00 or $3.00 per month by overselling their server resources.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Thanks very much, that is very helpful info. I have been with 1&1 for many years and never had any problems. In the last 6 months, SW has been running smoothly with only the occasional server error. I have heard good things about host gator as well so perhaps moving it there would be a good choice for now. I don't think a dedicated server is necessary right now.

1&1 has dedicated servers starting at $60 a month and the specs look pretty good. Have you heard any bad things about those? $60 or $140 a month is quite a difference.

Matt
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Thanks very much, that is very helpful info. I have been with 1&1 for many years and never had any problems. In the last 6 months, SW has been running smoothly with only the occasional server error. I have heard good things about host gator as well so perhaps moving it there would be a good choice for now. I don't think a dedicated server is necessary right now.

1&1 has dedicated servers starting at $60 a month and the specs look pretty good. Have you heard any bad things about those? $60 or $140 a month is quite a difference.
    Biggest difference I'm finding in the dedicated servers is that the 1&1 just offers a lower spec machine for the lower price. Keep in mind 1&1 has their own custom control panel... Where hostgator uses CPANEL (even in shared hosting accounts)... Which i am personally in love with. CPANEL would cost $400 / year to license yourself.

cPanel Inc.

Also keep in mind that host gator's server are "managed" which means host gator keeps all the software up to date and secured, provides typical IT server administration for free. An unmanaged server leaves you responsible for all that (security, updating php / mysql, managing firewall and ports, etc), so unix knowledge is required... Some cheap dedicated servers are not managed so make sure whatever you go with is managed

Not trying to be a salesman for them, but i seriously do believe in them as a high quality host.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". However, I just don't see that much difference in specs and services. Host gator is $1380 more per year. I am not familiar with cPanel but even if you would license that, where is the $1000 difference? I am just seeing 1und1 as a reliable and solid German company which branched out to the US. 1&1 Server - Dedicated Server Übersicht

1&1 - $60 per month (Linux or Managed) = $720 per year
    AMD Dual core 2 x 2.2 GHz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Disk space: 250 GB
    Bandwith: 1000 GB/month
    1 IP address

Host gator - $175 per month ($139 first month) = $2100 per year
    Intel Xenon 3040 Dual core
    RAM: 2 GB
    Disk space: 250GB
    Bandwith: 1500 GB
    5 IP addresses

1&1 - $149 per month (Linux or Managed)
    AMD Quad core 2.1 GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Disk space: 750 GB
    Bandwith: 3000 GB

Perhaps it is just me but a name like Godaddy or Hostgator with a cute logo just doesn't do it for me. Kinda like Zoosk or Carbonite.

Matt
    Saab(s)
    As I said, the price difference in 1&1 is simply for the lower spec machine, &1 doesnt list what their dual core AMD is, but it could be an athlon 64 from ~2004 for all we know. .. Which I wont argue that you don't need more than that to run a forum...
    But there difference is when you call your host to complain about something, 1&1 and godaddy will tell you its "your problem" on your side. Hostgator will work to fix it, they'll even look at your script to make sure. (just my personal experience).
    You can have a CMS install that works flawlessly on one server yet wont work or has security issues on 1&1 simply because they are still running PHP4 (mind bogglingly).

CPANEL still makes being a webmaster much easier if you manage more than a couple domains. Maybe its just me because i frequently do CMS installs for clients and work on the back end a lot.

And hold up, whats wrong with carbonite? I use that as a backup service. $54 a year for unlimited off-site backup size doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    The site will be moving to a new host soon. The domain is going to be transferred as well so the site may appear down for a while. Between now and 8 working days, the old host will release the domain and move to the new provider. When that happens (and we don't know exactly when), the site and database has to be restored on the new host before it will be up and running again. I don't know how long that will take and depends on the timing as well.

I'll be posting status updates on a temporary page and the SW Twitter and Facebook accounts if it is going to take longer than a day. No data will be lost and everything will be working as usual until the old host transfers the domain.

See you on the other side!