Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    I'm not a fan of highly priced oils in daily drivers.
    If someone can show me an advantage, I'll be all over it.
    Otherwise, good oil change interval with a main stream oil works just fine.

Sorry ... didn't mean to go off on a tangent here.
    But heres my problem, I put so many miles on my daily driver, I cant (dont want to) change the oil so frequently. Somestimes not even a month goes by and its time for another oil change... I want something that will last in there for 10,000 miles. (my subaru requires 3,750 but only specs dino oil)

And on the subject of discounts.. IDK how much prices have fluxuated lately, but a couple years ago I was able to regularly buy 6 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40 at BJ's wholesale club for ~$38.00 wasnt too bad... (Back when I did 3000 mile Mobil 1 Oil changes in the 9000... what a waste LOL)
    Last edited by SaabBoon; 04 August 2010 at 17:25.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 93SS Vector
    Scott, Yikes, no that comment was not directed at you, as well you know there are other Choices. Above the 49th you guys have more choices of GM LL Spec Oil then we do down here. My point was that some guys think it's "The Only" Oil you can use.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by JonV View Post
    Scott, Yikes, no that comment was not directed at you, as well you know there are other Choices.
    It's all good Jon.

And yes, there are a lot of people who are of the belief that "it is Mobil 1 or nothing".
    It is quality oil, but not the only game in town by far.
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabScott View Post
    It's all good Jon.

And yes, there are a lot of people who are of the belief that "it is Mobil 1 or nothing".
    It is quality oil, but not the only game in town by far.
    Wonder how the car would run with the nothing option? Yet these people seem to exist on every car forum. Then there are those that feel the need for 3K oil changes even with royal purple.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 93SS Vector
    Point Made there Oldman, there was a kid in SC that said "My Dad was an Engineer....(Snip)" and his dad told him to change his Oil every 3K..... using Mobil 1, a bit of overkill to say the least. When back in Jersey, there were guys at my Dealer using Dino and they'd change every 5K, the Shop had no Problem doing that for them. In my C900's I changed Dino every 3K, they had Oil Cooled Turbo's. Real Oil Cookers. The guys that went to M1 took it to 5K.

Edit: Oh by the way, when I said lets start an Oil Thread I was Kidding

A dexos2 grade of oil for 2010 Saab's which is suitable on all older models as well. dexos2 meets GM-LL-A-025.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/va...oil-21129.html

GM is recommending dexos1 for all of it's North American applications for 2011, and requiring it for their turbocharged applications.

Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedjs View Post
    GM is recommending dexos1 for all of it's North American applications for 2011, and requiring it for their turbocharged applications.

No offence, but I couldn't care less what GM recommends ... for turbocharged cars or otherwise.
    Not to be picky, but GM isn't an automobile manufacturer that we should be mentioning here (for good, bad, or otherwise).
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 93SS Vector
    Does GM recommending Dexos 1 mean Mobil 1 isn't the right Oil anymore? They Must have gotten a better Deal from Dexos 1 for Product Placement. Did they create a new Spec for Dexos 1 that no other Oil meets?

Does GM recommending Dexos 1 mean Mobil 1 isn't the right Oil anymore? They Must have gotten a better Deal from Dexos 1 for Product Placement. Did they create a new Spec for Dexos 1 that no other Oil meets?
    dexos1 and dexos2 are not brands of oil - it is an approval process/test like Honda's HTO-06 specification. dexos1 is a North American specification as far as I can see, and it does not specifically mean a synthetic oil - but most approved products are synthetic. We are just starting to see dexos approved products hit the market.

dexos oils use molybdenum in place of zinc for superior HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) characteristics among other things.

Saab is recommending dexos2 in their 2010 service manual. GM aside, from what I am reading and hearing this certification is actually a really good thing. Especially for customers looking to easily identify a quality product.

Joe
    Third Saab's a Charm Warren Demontague's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2010 9-3SS 2.0T
    Edit: Oh by the way, when I said lets start an Oil Thread I was Kidding
    But it was a valid idea. I put together a draft FAQ thread for oil questions that you guys can check out and tell me what you think.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php/...-the-last-time