Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 93SS Vector
    Just curious, but what interval are you using?

Jared
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 ARC ( and care-taker of a '98 900SE)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonV View Post
    Just curious, but what interval are you using?
    5000 mile intervals.
    I don't drive fast...I fly slow

Saab(s)
    1999 9-5 Wagon LPT
    I may be wrong but I thought M1/Castrol Syntec (except for 0W-40 grades) aren't ACEA A3/B3 so not suitable for Saabs. You need to read the labels carefully. The oil advice in WIS is even more specific and restrictive than the owner's manual. It advises using 15W-50 or
    20W-50 at constant temperatures above 15 degrees C

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I am using Castrol Syntec 5W-40 and it is A3/B3 rated.

Quote Originally Posted by born again View Post
    I may be wrong but I thought M1/Castrol Syntec (except for 0W-40 grades) aren't ACEA A3/B3 so not suitable for Saabs. You need to read the labels carefully. The oil advice in WIS is even more specific and restrictive than the owner's manual. It advises using 15W-50 or 20W-50 at constant temperatures above 15 degrees C
    Even going back to the late 1990's Saab/WIS recommends oil that meets GM-LL-A-025, and I would see no reason to NOT use an oil that meets the specifications of this approval test. Especially after all sludge issues from that time period. This was also spelled out in Saab bulletin #02-10-210, which really details the need for the proper oil.

And once you step out of the API viscosity definition/trap and look more of the approval process by the said manufacturer - you have a much better idea of "why" these tests exist.

Also, keep in mind that virtually all LL-A-25 approved products currently available in North America are high HTHS (high temperature high shear). But, the LL-A-25 approval does not REQUIRE high HTHS. With that said, Saab puts a specific brand of oil in its vehicles for a reason.

And if I owned a Honda vehicle I would be at the dealer purchasing Honda oil and a Honda filter at each oil change and not using anything else. Their approval process is that good as well.

Get it?

Saab(s)
    12+
    Quote Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
    Hey Scott, Real Canadian Superstore (Loblaw's) sells Mobil 1 for $34.99 for the 4.4L jug. But 1L bottles are $9.99, go figure.
    I've been buying these "5 quart" bottles at Wal Mart in the USA for like $23 US for some time, time for a border blast methinks

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 93SS Vector
    The Sludge issues in the B205 Engine had nothing to do with the type of Oil, as a matter of fact M1 did not prevent any sludging at all, it was a "Plumbing" problem.

"Saab puts a specific brand of oil in its vehicles for a reason.", yeah they got into bed with GM who has a deal with Mobil. This is exactly what we were talking about earlier, M1 is hardly the "only Oil" we can use.

Andy Graham
    modérateur
    Saab(s)
    '88 vert, '88 Aero
    My little tale of oil foolishness: Recently I decided to see if some new oil would smooth out some minor graunchiness in the Aero's gearbox. For reasons I cannot explain, I threw in some dino Shell Helix 15/40 (yeah I know not even 10/30) that was going cheap at the local SupaCheap Auto, thinking it would at least have to be better than the ancient crud that was in there. Bzzzzt! Wrong! As soon as I drove it I knew I had done a foolish thing -- 1st to 2nd wasn't too bad but the 2nd to 3rd change crunched nastily. Oh dear, I thought, I had better get rid of that stuff. So I went to the Honda dealer and got some of their MTF, which got me my nice smooth gearbox back.

So clearly, at least where C900 gearboxes are concerned, near enough is nowhere near good enough.

The Sludge issues in the B205 Engine had nothing to do with the type of Oil, as a matter of fact M1 did not prevent any sludging at all, it was a "Plumbing" problem.
    Cannot blame everything on a plugged crankcase vent system. Just like VW encountered some "surprises" when switching some of their engines from 505.01 to 507 specification oil (in spite of lab & fleet testing). And Toyota had problems with sludge when telling customers to go 7500 miles between oil changes regardless of driving conditions... Etc. Etc. Etc.

"Saab puts a specific brand of oil in its vehicles for a reason.", yeah they got into bed with GM who has a deal with Mobil. This is exactly what we were talking about earlier, M1 is hardly the "only Oil" we can use.
    Ahh, the rigid Klingon code - ""Drink not with thine enemy!!" Mobil makes a very high quality GM-LL-A-025 product. I would see little reason not to use something that works just to save a few bucks on a car with such an expensive engine. A brand new LP9 V6 is somewhere in the $8000.00 range, not something you want to be messing with.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    03 93SS Vector
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedjs View Post
    Cannot blame everything on a plugged crankcase vent system. Just like VW encountered some "surprises" when switching some of their engines from 505.01 to 507 specification oil (in spite of lab & fleet testing). And Toyota had problems with sludge when telling customers to go 7500 miles between oil changes regardless of driving conditions... Etc. Etc. Etc.

Ahh, the rigid Klingon code - ""Drink not with thine enemy!!" Mobil makes a very high quality GM-LL-A-025 product. I would see little reason not to use something that works just to save a few bucks on a car with such an expensive engine. A brand new LP9 V6 is somewhere in the $8000.00 range, not something you want to be messing with.
    Boy that's Right out of Saab Central....

The point of this thread is that there are choices, alternatives to Mobil 1. No-one is saying M1 inferior, no-one is advocating change to save a few bucks. It's just not the only Oil out there a Saab can use. Your not going to harm your engine or void your warranty.