Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Fan and electrical problems

I'm having troubles with my 1993 Saab 9000 cse. The fan stopped working and
    is blowing the high speed 30a fuse all the time. I wired the stock relay into a
    relay holder I had that gets it's power from the 30A cooling fan fuse. It's
    switched by a ground switch I put in the dash. The output of the relay goes
    right to the fan while it uses the factory ground cable. The problem now is it
    works fine sometimes but it's blowing the fuse as well.

On top of that the ds window which has always acted up has stopped working and
    when I replace the power lock fuse it blows instantly. Does anyone know how to
    remove that switch panel on the console without destroying it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone is interested in an
    otherwise mint 9000 cse high pressure turbo hatch in eucalyptus green I am
    accepting offers. I'm in Victoria on Vancouver Island, BC.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Hey Paul

Still has the 9K, I see. It'd be a shame to part with it, eh.
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Saab(s)
    1995 9000 Aero
    Usually when an electric motor blows a fuse it is because it is either drawing to much current, or their is a dead short in the circuit. Drawing to much current is usually when the magnet strength of the motor goes down, then the motor needs to draw more current to achieve the desired speed, blowing the fuse when the rating is exceeded. With expensive electric motors, you can boost the magnet strength, with our ones it's just replacement. As for a dead short, it could be in the motor or more likely in the circuitry.

The switch pack can be removed by carefully prising it up from the front with a thin bladed screwdriver. Be careful when dismantling the switch pack and take note of where all the switch rockers are positioned so that you can re-assemble it correctly. However, I don't think your problem is in the switch pack. I would be looking in the areas were you have last worked on the window mechanism.

Thanks for the info! Is there a way to tell if the resistor is blown or shorting out?

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Sounds like the Fan Speed Controller ontop the air box under the cowl cover - usually these go bad and can end up melting the connector to it. I would start there. If you need one and can not locate one check out epartsland.com I know they sell them all the time and they come with the connector to splice in if yours is damaged.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Mark Niskanen
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-3 ARC SS, 04 9-5 Aero Combi
    I've read that many times the reason for the resistor failure is because the blower fan is on the fritz... I wouldn't replace the resistor without doing the blower moter... wouldn't do the blower moter without doing the heater core... = PITA

also I'd expect the CSE to ACC which means you need a fan speed controller (~$175) not just a resistor (fairly cheap easy to fix).

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Quote Originally Posted by niskanem View Post
    I've read that many times the reason for the resistor failure is because the blower fan is on the fritz... I wouldn't replace the resistor without doing the blower moter... wouldn't do the blower moter without doing the heater core... = PITA

also I'd expect the CSE to ACC which means you need a fan speed controller (~$175) not just a resistor (fairly cheap easy to fix).

I am just speaking as a Saab Tech as well as from [FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]experience[/FONT] [/FONT]- but you are welcome to believe what you read elsewhere. Throwing parts at cars does help the economy.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Mark Niskanen
    Saab(s)
    '04 9-3 ARC SS, 04 9-5 Aero Combi
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    I am just speaking as a Saab Tech as well as from [FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana]experience[/FONT] [/FONT]- but you are welcome to believe what you read elsewhere. Throwing parts at cars does help the economy.

What is your point? That a dying blower motor isn’t a logical cause of a fan controller problem? Or that it’s better to let a part die twice before looking for the real reason for its failure… that has also been my experience with techs.
    [FONT=Tahoma][/FONT]

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    OK - after re-reading the issue, I mis-read the problem it seems. I for some reason thought it was stuck on high and would blow the 30A fuse - base on the actual problems it does sound like the blower motor itself. However I wouldn't rule out the blower motor controler, be sure to inspect it well since you will be there anyways.