Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Another thing you could check is all vacuum hoses. I had one come off on the intake manifold on my 2006 2.3T. The engine wouldn't idle by itself, had limited power and ran very rough. Perhaps the fuel-up was just a coincidence and doesn't really have anything to do with the problem. Or it is combination of smaller issues.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    So today it wouldn't even pretend like it would start, and the once substantial spurt of fuel out of the test port is back to a mere dribble. Pressure holds at 40-45 when cranking, but drops to 20ish within several seconds of letting off, where as it held at 40 right after we replaced the filter. The CPS tested at 875 today, so it does go high when warm, but shouldn't be affecting the cold start. I eliminated the leaky brake booster as a culprit by removing the vacuum line at the manifold and plugging the hole. My theory is that the Heet freed up enough gunk and relocated it to the filter and plugged it up pretty good. So we went to the gas station and got the owner's info so we can talk to him tomorrow about what they can help us out with. I'm hoping for tow, filter, and full tank of gas reimbursment. If they could drain the tank themselves, that would be great.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    After deciding there was nothing else I could do but replace the fuel, we went to the gas station and talked to the manager. Turns out they had some other complaints all from the same day. The car is getting towed to a Saab dealer tomorrow on his insurance's dime.

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    Glad to hear the gas station owner is taking responsibility for the bad gas. Hope all works out.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    I know the engine isn't tuned for it, but will the car even run if it was filled with E85? The gas station's insurance is trying to deny the claim because the dealership said it was E85 in the tank, so it would be the gasoline supplier's issue. I believe the dealer just detected the alcohol in the ISOHEET and thought it was E85.

If the car could normally at least start and kinda run on E85, we can rule that out as a possibility.

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    From my understanding, it can run, but not well at all since its wont have a proper air/fuel mixture.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
    From my understanding, it can run, but not well at all since its wont have a proper air/fuel mixture.
    Thats what I thought too... also that certain parts (gaskets and stuff) begin to degrade faster/differently because they are not designed for E85
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    ohh, and e85 is 85% ethanol. The dealership would have to be really stupid to think a cans worth of HEET would create a mixture near what e85 is. That said, I dont doubt that they could have screwed it up.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    I'm certain it wasn't E85 that caused the no-start. It ran just fine for a short time after replacing the filter and adding the HEET, then it died when the new filter got clogged like the first. The exhaust lacked the typical E85 smell.

And it was 2 cans.