Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    Thumbs Up:   0

03 9-5 3.0t crank but no start

My coworker went to get gas, filled up, then started and went to pull away from the pump. He got several feet, turned, and it died. It wouldn't restart. He had it towed home. There are no codes, pending or active. It cranks fine. It only just barely sounds like it's trying to fire. Fuel pressure spikes between 40 and 50 psi when cranking. It takes only several seconds to bleed down to 0 after it stops cranking, but I don't know if that's caused by my pressure gauge that weeps a bit. A couple minutes after cranking, pushing the valve needle on the pressure test port doesn't give much a a spurt, more of a burble. The fuel pump fuse is good. I didn't have enough tools with me to pull any plugs to see if they were wet with fuel. I'll check tomorrow after work for that. Is there any other way to see if it is sparking at all? The lack of plug wires limits the possibilities in that regard. I thought maybe the crank position sensor was the cause, but there are no codes. The coolant, oil, and battery levels are fine. The SID isn't giving any warnings. I'm a bit worried about the fuel pressure, but it seems like it gets enough to at least fire up a bit. But I don't know how much it really should have. Is there a fuel pump prime lead I can jumper to just run the pump and check pressure? What else can I check?

0 Not allowed!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Thumbs Up:   1
    You could try pulling the ignition discharge module (IDK if it's called a DIC for the V6) and leaving it plugged in, then pull your fuel pump fuse, put a spare plug into the module and try to start your car. Not sure if that works for the V6, but works well for any of the 4 cylinders... oh, and you'll need tools for that

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    Ok, we verified spark on both banks by pulling the DIC's, plugging the spark plugs into it and holding the electrodes against the valve cover and cranking. The timing belt is present and rotating. Fuel Pressure spikes at 45 psi while cranking and holds 40 psi after the key is turned off. What is normal fuel pressure? The plugs were wet with fuel. We tried holding the gas down while cranking to clear the cylnders. It still feels sometimes like it's going to start, but it can't quite do it. Sometimes while cranking with a plug out, there would be a puff of smoke out the plug hole. So what's left?

0 Not allowed!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    35-44 psi is typical for most fuel injected cars, so I would assume you are safe (although I'm not sure the exact psi for your car). Is it getting air into the engine (filter clogged beyond all belief?). Just a guess, because you have gas and a spark, seems like you need air.

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    Good question. How does one get to the filter? It appears to be in the fender.

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   132
    The WIS shows fuel pressure for the V6 should be at 43 psi. Residual pressure should be 33 psi after 20 minutes.

If it is in limp-home mode, would it still be able to start?

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    Good question. How does one get to the filter? It appears to be in the fender.
    Should be in the same spot as the 4 cylinder: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-en...nt-change-634/

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 3.0t ARC
    We've experienced LHM, and it seemed to drive fine for the most part.

So fuel pressure seems ok. I've never come across a fuel or air filter that was so bad as to prevent starting. Though if I had to pick one as a suspect I'd go with the fuel filter. It did die right after filling the tank (didn't even run for several seconds after filling from near empty) and hasn't started since.

0 Not allowed!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Yeah, the filter would have to be amazingly clogged to cause this problem... just a guess.

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Does fuel get into the cylinders? Perhaps there could be an issue with injectors or fuel rail? The injectors are controlled electromagnetically, opening and closing by means of electric pulses from the control module (so says the WIS).

Did you measure the pressure before or after the pressure regulator?

0 Not allowed!