Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Did you try to rattle BB's or pebbles in the tank. That is how we did a lot of tanks.

Then rinse a few times with fuel.

Don't get all green on me with the purge thing; the new gas cans are a joke.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    Did you try to rattle BB's or pebbles in the tank. That is how we did a lot of tanks.

Then rinse a few times with fuel.

Don't get all green on me with the purge thing; the new gas cans are a joke.
    I got a chain, and cut it into two inch pieces, and rattled that around.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    I've found that phosphoric acid (green liquid sold in a vinegar-type bottle under the name "OSPHO" from Napa) works as a rust converter on pretty much everything, but I don't believe people who say it also works as a primer. I did the Lotus chassis with this stuff, to decent success, and then primed it with some Rustoleum "rusty metal" primer, before top-coating with several layers of straight (non-acrylic) enamel using a brush. It is fairly chip-resistant but nothing coats sharp corners well enough to prevent scarring when a wrench is dropped on them.

For my coolant tank, I took some sand and rattled that around until it was well-scoured. I would think a sand blaster might do well for a fuel tank, but I'm not sure. Shazam, did you paint it inside? I'm going to have to do the Lotus tank in short order. Looks rust-free inside, but I'm not sure what else I need to do to ensure its longevity.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The stuff I got built a self-protecting/sealing coating on the inside of the tank. Called them up, they said it was good for gasoline and should be fine as long as the tank isn't dropped (I guess it can crack easily).

I'm not 100% confident in it, but I needed to get the tank back in quick before I had to put it away for winter. I just hope it didn't react with something in the tank, forming something that will only wreck havoc when I pull it back out in a month or so.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Neil Richardson
    Saab(s)
    '88 c900T, '88 c900 SPG, '94 9000 Aero
    Hmmm.. I'll try scraping it and a rust treatment, but getting deep into the seal where things have really gone wrong is where I'm most concerned about. Where exactly it's spreading to is another thing I'm worried about.

The thing about this part of California is that it doesn't normally rain for 3 weeks straight, but that torrential downpour really made me think about this issue.

Paul A
    Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    T16 '93 Ruby - T16 '94 Vert Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by Saabhat93 View Post
    Hmmm.. I'll try scraping it and a rust treatment, but getting deep into the seal where things have really gone wrong is where I'm most concerned about. Where exactly it's spreading to is another thing I'm worried about.

The thing about this part of California is that it doesn't normally rain for 3 weeks straight, but that torrential downpour really made me think about this issue.
    You can hold things at bay Neil if you get a wax/oil based rust preventer, such as Dinitrol or Waxoyl and using it from an aerosol with a tube or a hypodermic, push the nozzle right up under the rubber moulding and squirt it in until it comes out everywhere. Just wipe off the excess.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    I would be vary wary of any tank sealers applied on the inside. I bought a pick up from a friend that was used to haul his race carts. So he was stand alone at the track for fuel on long weekends, he had a 50 gallon axillary tank welded under the frame with a cross feed to the regular fuel line. He forgot to tell me not to use the tank. My first fill of like 65 gallons and I had a huge grin, I did not have to worry about fuel stops for a month.

Two miles later I switch tanks to "the main" and the truck comes to a stop.

The fuel filter was clogged with a "creosote" color, so I changed up in the garage and then went for the main again and it quit in under a minute.

The gasoline approved tank sealer was breaking down.

Keep an extra filter at least.