Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd

Thumbs down "New" gas cans ??

Has anyone seen the new style gas can? To keep our generator running I had my son bring one home a month ago.

To date I have not met anyone who could get gas out (easily), much less neatly.

So, in Autozone two weeks ago I figured let me replace it, the kid was being funny by getting a fancy and overpriced can. I thought he got it for "gee whiz" effect.

In the Autozone, they only had that can; it has a weird twist lock, trigger and stuff so I brought one up and asked the girl how about the old cans.

"No, these are the new environmentally friendly and approved cans. So in the back of my head I am trying to factor the "escape of VO's" into the air and stuff but figure, shizz I am getting old don't make issues.

But I ask her to show me how to open, much less pour? She can't.

She calles Ralph, but he can't either nor can the manager.

WTF, over? Worse, the spout is so short, we could not use it to gas a car more than half way (the can), since the angles are not right. This is BS.

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I bought one back when I bought my house.

I've never had any issues with it.

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    Agreed! When we got our house, the builder left a bunch of these "improved" cans behind. I had never seen them before and understand why he left them now. As you said, the spout is too short and the mechanism never seems to work properly. I went to get a metal jerry can for my truck and they have the new spout on them too. Ill stick to my trusty "old" can thank you.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Maybe just the AutoZone brand? Three folks at the counter could not get the trigger to work. Our trigger works but dribbles and worse for an "emergency" can if you ran out it would only give you about just over a gallon of the two. Of course I did try to reverse the spout too, short and straight. If I put the spout literally sideways perhaps? The can hits the car as you fill and tip.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Is it like this one? I bought one last year. They work OK but fuel doesn't flow very fast and you have to keep the handle pushed with one hand after you slide the little black tab. Makes it pretty difficult when you're trying to lift a 5 gallon tank to fill up the mower because you can't lock it open.. What was wrong with the old ones? This is just a stupid design..

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    Mines nothing like that!

What the hell is that?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Thanks, part of the mystery is solved. They did not include the spout that I see in your picture but when I look at this one it could clearly take a longer white spout.

The trigger too is a train wreck. This thing hardly does more than a dribble.

What pisses me off is with med issues I can handle a 5 gallon to a point but the way this thing works I could never hold it long enough.

A-wipe nonsense. This smells of California.

Did you read in California you can't buy washer anti-freeze unless you are "X" miles from the "mountains" .. Sierra Nevada is the only place that frosts?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I have to lift it with four fingers on the top handle and simultaneously push the trigger with my thumb. And awkwardly support the bottom with my other hand. The old ones I grabbed at the nozzle with one hand and the bottom with the other. Or push the trigger with the palm of my left hand. And you also have to figure out how to get that straight spout into the tank before the fuel starts to flow. Try that with a fuel opening that is not angled like on a car but like a motorcycle or lawn mower.

Be careful with that white spout because it comes off very easily.. I have one floating around in my mower tank because it came off when I was pouring fuel.. And spilled gas when that happened. Great design!

Steve
    Saab(s)
    '02 9-5 Aero, '89 900S
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnanxwd View Post
    A-wipe nonsense. This smells of California.
    Your posts crack me up.

Mine also dont have the little extension, making it pretty difficult to fill anything.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    Really, I looked at my can when Wulf posted and clearly, it is missing the spout. Now, either my kid missed that or they forgot to put them on at AutoZone or in the box in China.

On the California thing, on "the other evil web site", there are posts where guys are asking where the heck they can get washer fluid.

I seems the additives or something evaporate.

Sometimes I post off the wall and at times it is "obtuse", but quite by design. Thanks.