Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 Turbo-X, 1994 900 CommEd

Cabin Filter Replacement - Saab 9-5

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 10269
Size:  34.7 KB

Remove the two push-pin fasteners from the "hump" in the passenger footwell. With those removed the cover will pop right off.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 10213
Size:  36.5 KB

Remove the four torx screws from the dash's lower panel.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 10171
Size:  31.0 KB

With the four torx screws out, the panel can be dropped down a few inches to expose the bottom three torx screws of the glovebox. Remove them. They're the same size as the four holding on the lower panel so don't worry about mixing them up.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 10370
Size:  30.6 KB

Opening the glovebox reveals the top three torx screws holding the glovebox in. Remove them. Again, they're all the same.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 10140
Size:  43.5 KB

Gently slide the glovebox out of the dash. You will need to pull off the air duct hose on the back, and unplug the two leads for the glovebox light. I don't know that it matters but the red wire goes on top, for when you put it back together.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 10105
Size:  43.9 KB

This is what the dash looks like with the glovebox out.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 10025
Size:  45.9 KB

This little clip holds the lower dash panel on. Be careful, I broke mine.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 10138
Size:  49.6 KB

The lower dash panel slides out, unplug the footwell lights and set it aside.

Using a 6mm socket, remove the screws from the cover on the side of the air box.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 10009
Size:  47.4 KB

With the cover off, you can begin to see all the fun stuff that's made it inside your car over the last eternity without having the filter changed.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 9968
Size:  50.4 KB

My car is an automatic and I found that I could not get the filter out because the transmission computer was in the way. It just unclips and slides down. No need to unplug it, just rest it on the floor.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 9924
Size:  37.0 KB

Transmission computer.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 9948
Size:  48.5 KB

Old nasty filter is out.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 9885
Size:  51.3 KB

Old vs. New.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 9840
Size:  19.6 KB

Looking into where the filter goes, you can see the evaporator to the left. If you look up and to the right (it's not pictured) you will see the blower motor and fan cage. Vacuum all the garbage out of here.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 9838
Size:  16.2 KB

Again, looking into the filter compartment, evaporator on the left, you can see the blower up there too. This foam thing should be replaced. If you bought an OEM filter it'll come with one. Some aftermarkets come with one but don't have holes for the pipes, or don't come with one altogether. Re-using it isn't the end of the world.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 9816
Size:  35.5 KB

Slide the new filter in, noting the air flow direction marked on top. Air flows from the FRONT of the car to the BACK.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 9767
Size:  20.9 KB

Air filter in place.

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 9987
Size:  40.0 KB

Re-assemble in reverse order, and enjoy your nice strong, clean A/C or heat for a while!
    Last edited by nordwulf; 24 June 2011 at 14:05. Reason: Added external images hosted on other site to SaabWorld

Christopher
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Thank you for the tutorial. I just replaced mine. BTW, in the package along with the foam thing there was a strip of double sided tape the length and width of the foam. I didn't see this on the foam I pulled out of the car so I didn't use it. Does anyone know what that is for? I can't imagine I would have been able to install the foam with that tape on without getting it stuck to something else...somewhere it shouldn't be.

Sebastian Vecchi
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon (Turbo)
    Could someone post the spec for that air filter? So I can just google the part # or whatever.
    If its broken, I can fix it. If it already works, I can break it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Cabin Filter Replacement - Saab 9-5

Just go to a site like eeuroparts.com, select your year/model and it is easy to find part numbers for anything. For the cabin filter, the one from Mann is just as good as the original OEM Saab filter. And it probably is exactly the same like the engine air filters.

Mann part # CUK3220: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4114...rcoal-CUK3220/
    Saab OEM part # 12758727: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/1060...coal-12758727/

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    Did this filter change today. It really is pretty easy. A cautionary note abt "This little clip holds the lower dash panel on". When you get to that point in the removal process, pause, look underneath and find the white clip. Release the clip catch from underneath. The old filter didn't look too bad but replaced it anyway. Also found that someone who'd done this before neglected to put all the screws back in. tsk tsk.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t manual
    I followed raquettelaker2's instructions on how to replace the cabin air filter, however I ran into some issues and I would like to discuss those in order to save some time to anyone who wants to do this work in the future.

I ordered a filter from Eeuroparts: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4114...rcoal-CUK3220/

And replacing it was a bit more difficult than I expected. The first problem was getting the old filter out. It was the original, factory filter, and it looked horrible! After taking it out, I vacuumed a pound of leaves and other stuff that was stuck in there since 1999 while I was trying to take the filter out, I broke it in several pieces because it just didn't want to slide out. I later realized this was because of the two cut-outs on the top where two silver pipes fit in.

This is what was left of the old filter. Notice the two cut-outs for on the top part of the filter. That's why it wouldn't slide out and I had to break it in order to get it out.
    Name:  IMG_20140628_114704.jpg
Views: 7097
Size:  49.5 KBName:  IMG_20140628_114707.jpg
Views: 6947
Size:  51.1 KBName:  IMG_20140628_114714.jpg
Views: 6918
Size:  52.6 KB

The second problem was putting the new filter in because of its size. Another issue that came along with the over-sized filter was the sticky tape on its upper side. The idea is that you should stick the foam piece onto the filter and then slide them in together. That never worked and the foam piece just stopped after a couple of inches. The filter would slide in, but the foam remained outside. So eventually I took some duct tape and taped it over the sticky part so it would no longer pull the foam with it.
    Name:  IMG_20140628_114801.jpg
Views: 6868
Size:  23.1 KB

If you look at the instructions above, you'll see that the replacement filter and the accompanying foam piece fit perfectly together. My air filter was slightly taller, so I couldn't fit the foam piece in. I eventually had to place the foam piece slightly in front of the filter.
    Name:  IMG_20140628_114924.jpg
Views: 6942

After about two hours, everything was put in its place. When I turned my A/C on, I felt like I had a tornado in my cabin! What a difference did my new filter make!

Thank you raquettelaker2 for making such a detailed guide on how to change the cabin air filter. I couldn't have done it without your instructions, and I believe that my mechanic wouldn't be too happy if I asked him to do it

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    50K miles / 80K kilometers. Note to self: replace filter sooner...

A/C immediately works a lot faster and better.

Name:  saab 9-5 air filter.jpg
Views: 7226
Size:  88.4 KB

Christopher
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Just changed mine again. It's been 30K miles. Yeah, sooner is better.

Name:  IMG_0284.jpg
Views: 6839
Size:  49.4 KB

Saab(s)
    99 9-3 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsvorc41 View Post

If you look at the instructions above, you'll see that the replacement filter and the accompanying foam piece fit perfectly together. My air filter was slightly taller, so I couldn't fit the foam piece in. I eventually had to place the foam piece slightly in front of the filter.
    Name:  IMG_20140628_114924.jpg
Views: 6942

After about two hours, everything was put in its place. When I turned my A/C on, I felt like I had a tornado in my cabin! What a difference did my new filter make!

Thank you raquettelaker2 for making such a detailed guide on how to change the cabin air filter. I couldn't have done it without your instructions, and I believe that my mechanic wouldn't be too happy if I asked him to do it
    Your pic shows what you did wrong - the foam above the filter is an additional seal against filth from outside.
    because the height of the filter can not enfold the tubes. The foam had to sit in line with the cabin air filter for a
    maximum effect.
    This holes within the foam are to recess the heater tubes from the engine to the evaporator. And that the
    air filter who is made of plastic does not melt by the heat from the tubes.

Slide the foam first around the tubes, pull the far end of the adhesive seal on the new filter a bit back in a 90°
    angle, then plug the new filter in the case and pull the strip from the seal out.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    the adhesive strip is nuanced. I used a strong bit of duct tape on the end of the started strip with some fishing line and pulled it away once it was in there. trying to slide it in sticky was not fun the first time I changed it.
    2001 9-5 Wagon