Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Wrestrepo

The price of being fat and happy will go up in AZ

I have to say that I love this law, and that it should be Federal....

Arizona Governor Proposes Fining Fat Residents, Smokers
    Childless adults who are obese or suffer from a chronic condition and who fail to work with their doctor to meet specific goals would be charged $50 annually. The $50 annual fee also would apply to all childless adult smokers.
    I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Cody
    Transportational Assault PRD2BDF's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2005 Saab 9-3 Arc
    I like it. I wouldn't hold it against people who actually are obese due to medical reasons such as thyroid issues (my sis-in-law has this)

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    So it is OK to be fat and smoke if you have children? That's discrimination! I guess it is better to be an alcoholic or drug addict. What about adults with children who don't eat the recommended fruit and vegetable servings everyday?

It's scary an actual Governor is coming up with ideas like this..

Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by PRD2BDF View Post
    I like it. I wouldn't hold it against people who actually are obese due to medical reasons such as thyroid issues (my sis-in-law has this)
    fail to work with their doctor to meet specific goals
    I think that that's the key. I don't think that it will be held against someone who has an actual problem like that. Type 2 diabetes? anything related to smoke? well, that's a different story.
    I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Wrestrepo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    So it is OK to be fat and smoke if you have children? That's discrimination! I guess it is better to be an alcoholic or drug addict. What about adults with children who don't eat the recommended fruit and vegetable servings everyday?

It's scary an actual Governor is coming up with ideas like this..
    Well, remember that this is the same person that brought up the checking documents to people that "look like" illegal immigrants.
    My wife asked the same thing about the people that are married and/or with children. I think that the only reason is not imposed on them is to protect the "household money"? Also, it would be political suicide I guess.

Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by PRD2BDF View Post
    A lot of people use excuses like this as a reason to be overweight. The reality is, a disorder such as this which can effect the speed of your metabolism, needs to be balanced with a change in caloric intake.

Calories out > calories in = weight loss, no matter what sort of disorder you have. There is no physiological medical reason to be fat. Period. It's 100% psychological.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    They should tax unhealthy food like do they with tobacco and subsidize healthy food. You pay more for an apple in the supermarket than a cheeseburger at McDonald's where I live.

$2 fat tax on hamburgers or 25+% tax on other food with high sugar or saturated fat content.

Wrestrepo
    They should tax unhealthy food like do they with tobacco and subsidize healthy food. You pay more for an apple in the supermarket than a cheeseburger at McDonald's where I live.

$2 fat tax on hamburgers or 25+% tax on other food with high sugar or saturated fat content.
    But most people don't want "big brother" telling them what they can eat.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less

The former Governor NYS suggested something like that, tax on soda and other sugary drinks, tax on fast food and other fatty things. It quickly got dropped after all the uproar.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasaabi View Post
    But most people don't want "big brother" telling them what they can eat.
    Oh yeah, it is much better when Big Brother decides you're too fat and slap a tax on your big fat belly..

How are they going to check if you're too fat? Scales at the entrance of every supermarket and fast food joints?