Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by 900Aero View Post
    Toxic, your are in Colorado? Who is doing your alignment? The so called alignment shop I took mine to said the rear was not adjustable, and we all know that it is.
    I live in Colorado Springs and the top shop for alignments is called Jacks Alignment's. One other place that I have found that is pretty good is Rex Tire.

Saab(s)
    2003 95 Aero 2011 95 Aero
    Hello,
    I can't find this screen shot in my WIS
    Can you provide a search word(s) to get me there?
    Thanks

Saab(s)
    Can you provide a search word(s) to get to this page in the WIS

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by nnaevad View Post
    Can you provide a search word(s) to get to this page in the WIS
    Here is what you need. http://saabworld.net/f29/shock-absor...tutorial-2172/
    It's 5 bolts to get the whole assembly off the car then 2 bolts and 1 nut to change the shock.
    Pretty easy as long as you can get the top shock nut off.
    Tip: Rubber and vicegrips on the piston if it spins. Use an impact gun if you have one.
    If that doesn't work use a torch to heat the nut to red hot and do it again.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab(s)

Thanks, For the info...... provided by Finding41

Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    Here is what you need. http://saabworld.net/f29/shock-absor...tutorial-2172/
    It's 5 bolts to get the whole assembly off the car then 2 bolts and 1 nut to change the shock.
    Pretty easy as long as you can get the top shock nut off.
    Tip: Rubber and vicegrips on the piston if it spins. Use an impact gun if you have one.
    If that doesn't work use a torch to heat the nut to red hot and do it again.
    What I was looking for was how to get to the screen in the WIS that was represented by a screenshot concerning how to measure ride height that Frank Wulfers inserted into the original thread that concerned changing shocks. That discussion led to one about how ride height might affect rear wheel alignment and that lowered ride height was probably due to sagging springs. Anyway Frank showed a screenshot from the WIS but I can't seem to get there when I query my WIS, hence the question. I may have posted my question incorrectly using the wrong thread. I am a new forum user so I'm just getting used to how things work. Thanks Again!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    No your question was fine. Here is where you want to look. In the stickies. (I think.) Tutorials, repairs and service
    You measure ride height from the ground to the top of the wheel well.
    Did I post about the Saturn wagon adjustable linkages...? I think I did some where here. They fix the problem for a while. Best is get new stronger springs. And if you are going to change the springs and shocks... for about the same price you may as well get a tuned suspension.
    Or do the quick and dirty spring spacer thing I did. $8 fix.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab(s)
    Thanks for the help.
    FYI - the screenshot of the WIS that Frank provided shows that (and Frank says that) you measure the ride height from the top of the wheel well to the bottom edge of the rim. At least that is how it is done for Saab. Maybe other car manufacturers offer different measuring procedures. What he didn't include but I found elsewhere in the forum is a procedure to do the actual measuring whereby Saab wants you to move the car one meter to set the suspension, then lift the front end once, release, and when it settles do the measurement. Then they want you to repeat by depressing the front end and then measuring and average the two measurements to determine average front road height. Then you follow the same procedure for the rear. I agree with the first two options you propose, new springs and possibly shocks based on the age of the current shocks and as for a tuned suspension if you are going that route in my opinion you should do both front and rear at the same time to get full benefit of what you propose. The spring spacers have been around since I was a kid in the sixties when they used them on muscle cars. I suppose they have their place but I prefer to go factory when I can or better than factory if possible.